Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mag300H VS Peavey MAX450?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sonorous, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Well?

I've brought home a Peavey MAX450 from a local guitar store. I'm able to just borrow it and try it for a while because the owner is friends with my dad. However there aren't any Ashdown dealers around, so I can't try that at all.

I could buy the Peavey for $300 and the Ashdown for the same from the internet.

I do like the Peavey. However, the 450 watts is only available at 2 ohms. Its only doing 170 with my 8 ohm Avatar.

And the Peavey is a Peavey, which might mean its bad. I'm not that experienced with amps and don't know how good this amp actually is because I havn't had much to compare it to. Now, I'm not saying I don't like it because it says Peavey on it, but Peavey does seem to have a reputation for being cheap. If I could try the Ashdown and I still liked the Peavey more, I would get the Peavey without worrying about the label.

Ok, so I know I like the Peavey. I'm asking you if you think the Ashdown is better. Please to tell me to get the Peavey because I know I like it, or not to fix something that isn't broken.

P.S. Is there a way to make my 4x10 Avatar a 4 ohm cab instead of a 2 ohm? If it involved wiring things, my dad could handle that. As long as it doesn't involve new speakers, then I'd like to know. Or if there is a way to just fool the amp into thinking there is an extra cab so it'll push more watts, but not break anything.

Oh, and I like clean, warm sounds.

2. I like Peavey. It's built well, at least the older stuff is, and lasts forever. Their customer service has been excellent--they sent me free knobs to replace a couple of missing knobs, for example. IMHO Peavey is a great value for the money.

As far as your 8 ohm cab: you can rewire for 2 ohms or 32 ohms...but not 4, not unless you replace speakers. And 170 watts really is a fair amount of power, trust me. If you absolutely need more, get a 1x15 cab to pair with the 4x10. The two cabs will give you more effective volume!

3. i would go with the the Mag300h, low cost good and loud solid state amp with a great warm tone.Nearly as good as the ABM range but without the extras and it works well with a 4 x 10 cab.

4. zillo

zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    That Peavey amp is pretty good stuff. Not the latest fad, as it were, but good, solid, nice sounding, practical gear. Sounds good, works good, and if you ever have a problem, you are buying it near home and will have someone to talk to.

5. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Anyone know which one is cleaner?

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If you like the Peavey, who cares what we think? If you really want to try the Ashdown just because you'll always wonder "What if?", then go for it. But if the Peavey rings your bell, just get it!

Peavey is known for making products that are tanks and last a really long time. Some people rate them as a "second-tier" amp company. That gets a big fat "whatever". I love my Peavey amp and don't regret buying it for a minute.

7. ++++++++1. :D :D :D :D

8. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I actually had the chance to play on a max 450 through a tvx410 and a tvx115.

I thought it sounded great. Very very loud if you want it to be. But then again it's peavey so a couple extra hands to move everything would do yourself well too.
    I enjoyed playing on the setup alot, and I'm half tempted to go get the max700.

9. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Nothing could be more accurate, Mike and I have the same Peavey BAM 210 amp, as well as Embellisher (Jeff Wade - moderator) and we all rave about it to anyone who will listen. What's each of our favorite sound on it? The Peavey Max450 amp model. It's a good amp and if you like it why change? Peavey gear is good quality stuff, every music store in America carries it for a reason.

10. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Guys, I'm pretty sure I'm keeping the Peavey. I had the chance to play around with it some more today before I had to go to work, and discovered I love pretty much every sound that comes out of it when the contour knob is around 8-10, regardless of what the EQ is at.

I was playing it before with the contour at 5, because I havn't had an amp with a contour knob and didn't really know what it does and didn't have time to fiddle before. I did like the soun when the contour was at 5, but I like it oh so much better now.

Thanks for the input guys.

P.S. Does anyone know what the contour knob actually does? Like what it boosts, cuts, etc?

11. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Oh, I've also noticed the Peavey is really quiet.

12. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    The contour knob, at least on my GK and I'm assuming it performs a similar function here, boosts highs and lows while keeping mids constant. It's kind of an instant slap knob.

13. Low Fat

Low Fat

Sep 20, 2006
    Saint Louis
    Peavey = Cheap???? No way punk! Peavey has always produced quality gear @ cheap prices! There are more peavey amps... being sold in pawn shops than probably any other amp in history and usually it is because some dumb ass thought they needed an Ampeg to sound good.... delusions of grandure my friend.... Peavey makes great bass and PA equipment... up until a few years ago... if you wanted to rock on guitar you would avoid Peavey like the plague because peavey produces CLEAN sound better than most... Here lately though the latest model of Peavey guitar amps are actually sounding kick ass!