Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Magazine Gear Reviews

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mikarre, May 21, 2004.

1. mikarre

mikarre Guest

Does anyone know how mags like Bass Player aquire the gear they review? I always thought they got it direct from the company but I was reading something in a different mag (not Bass Player) that made me think they just got it the same way ordinary consumers do. Does anyone know for sure?

Since I always assumed they got it from the company themselves, I figured of course the company would give them the best example of the that bass, amp, or whatever, they could find. They would put their best foot forward. Kinda like when the big wigs show up where I work and the place suddenly looks cleaner and shinier than it ever would on a normal day. :)

I think it would be more interesting if the mags were reviewing gear that they got from a music store or even online, like a normal buyer would. It would give a better idea of what to expect.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I would think that they get the gear from the company. For example, in Bass Player if there is a flaw they always allow the company to explain what could of happened or what will be changed.