1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Magellan 800 vs LH1000 ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kringle77, Dec 21, 2016.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I'm bored and wanted to throw out a comparison of total opposites. Could anyone compare these two, genzler with eq flat and LH1000 with the 2-10-0 true flat setting? Class d solid state vs tube front end hybrid.

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  2. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Just signing on here in case anyone responds.

I love the fender thing... I play a vintage Bassman 100 head, and a TBP-1 fender preamp with a big 1000w Carvin SS power amp, - a rig I assume is pretty similar to the LH1000.

My class D choice is a TH500, but I'm pretty interested in the Magellan.

3. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    The Magellan rocks and is what I use most often. The hartke lh1000 just seems like it would be cool with the tube front end and led sled power section. You know, a bass amp. I'd need to run some outboard eq with it for sure.

4. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Your low boredom threshold has provided a huge amount of information and good deals on your castoffs for the rest of us! :thumbsup: Happy holidays, Bob

kobass likes this.
  5. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    How dare you! ......yeah, you're right.

bobcruz and kobass like this.
  6. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    I had the LH1000 and I did use an eq eventually before letting it go. I never "bonded" with it completely and it gave me an initial bad taste for "tone stacks" but I will say that it was without a doubt a huge value in power and the tone really is great, I just didnt like where the mid "scoop" was voiced even though i do like a scooped voice. Also, I felt mine was a bit "noisy" with a Bag End S15XD's "tweeter". I have since began to like the "tone stack" on a BBE BMax that i recently have been using. Again, LH1000 is a great value IMO:):thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  7. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Right, that's why I was thinking that if you used the tone stack in its true flat setting, you could feed an eq'd tone into the tube front end or even after in the fx loop. I'd probably run an eq on the pedal board before the preamp.

8. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Flat for an LH1000 is 3-10-3.

It is a big powerful unit, good bang for your buck and pretty sturdy, Customer service is good in the US.

I have just sold mine and got a Darkglass as i saw an awesome deal, but the Magellan was very high on my list as a lovely head.
    If you want to pump a massive sound in a bombproof enclosure for very little money, get the LH1000. A bit more refinement and warmth but still a clear sound - Genzler

9. wagdog

wagdog

Mar 20, 2000
    Der Waffle Haus
    I have to say with my LH500 I never noticed the tube in the front end other than maybe some warmth. It's a very clean amp. The tone stack is interactive so it's hard to dial in exactly the response you're looking for unless you're a guru on those things. It wasn't until after I had sold mine that I discovered a modeling program that shows you how to set the nobs to get the curve you're after. Now I want it back just to try it!

10. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    So, anyone actually compare tone and feel of an LH at 3-10-3 to an HA5500? They have to be different at true flat. I ran a hartke t600 at true flat and it sounded pretty good except for some weakness on the e string that I couldn't explain.

11. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Just got to play a Magellan 800 - a VERY quick demo - in a music store while I was visiting Austin. I was actually checking out the Bass Block 800, but there was a Magellan sitting right under the Bass Block, so of course I plugged into it. First checked them out with a 75 jazz bass with rounds they had in the store, then went back the next day and used my 64 jazz with flats.

Cool amp. Very crystal clear tone. Very simple and straight forward. The drive channel didn't really do much for me, but i'm not into that anyway. Nice overdrive though - not fuzz - that I bet you could get to do the overdriven tube amp thing pretty well. The contour thing was OK. Seemed pretty subtle, but didn't really play with it that much. Tone stack seemed simple and useful. Overall impression was a bright, crystal clear type sound. No gank or honk in the upper mids (yes!), nice tight low end. Tone was a little thin for my taste - powerful, with excellent note separation, quick, but not a really beefy big tone (think aguilar DB751). Again, VERY quick demo, and I didn't really dial in a bunch of tones. I have a feeling you could "get there" with this amp. More of a feel thing for me. Magellan seemed very stiff.

I still have never played a LH100, but again, have quite a bit of experience with the fender thing - Bassman 100, alembic, and Fender TBP1 paired with a power amp that is (I think) very similar to the LH100 power section - SS stereo amp that bridges to 1000 watts.

At this point I tend to compare amps to either my TFB800, or my '77 Bassman 100 - prob my 2 favs of all time. My mind went to fender when I plugged in the Magellan, mostly because of the crystal clear top end that was not offensive - I think the big difference might be that the fender (LH100) might have more going on in terms of overtones and warmth all around, and maybe a little more mushy feel - as in not so crisp, or stiff as the Magellan. The low end is going to be the other big difference. Every fender I've ever played has a HUGE low end.

Absolutely random guess - TOTAL ASSUMPTION on my part - never played a LH100 and have about 15 mins of play time on the magellan --- Set a LH to 0-8-5, and it might be close to the magellan with everything at noon. I think they are going to have pretty different feels - soft and pillowy on the LH vs. Tight and crisp on the Magellan.

12. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I thought you guys were talking about Hartke LH1000?

Cuzzie likes this.
  13. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    We are. Type mistakes. The Magellan is a great amp but, pretty dry with no bounce unless you use a compreasor, which I do. I don't think that I'm going to get much of a comparison because these heads are for two different players. I'll just assume that the lh1000 has that more solid transformer based amp bottom end with just alittle tube squish that would react well to some eq run before it. The Magellan is light, loud and has a great eq.

14. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    If anyone is selling an Lh1000 for a fair price, drop me a pm. I'm thinking about getting one right away and may just buy new. Seems like a loud, solid base for an outboard eq and compressor.

15. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I think you are right on here.

Dry with no bounce is a nice descriptor for the Magellan.

I will say that on my fender TBP1 - starting with a "flat" setting, you are able to dial in some very nice tones with the semi-paremetric EQ. Of course the EQ on the TBP1 works so the Q gets more narrow the more you cut, and more wide the more you boost. But still. I like the basic flat setting with a little boost in the low mid region to add a little punch to the sound. It works well. I could see the LH1000 being a very nice platform for tone shaping - the empress pedal is coming to mind.

Good luck @kringle77

16. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I have the empress and selling it. It is a super eq but, I find myself using the red bmc 2 because I only boost lowmids and it takes up alot less space on my way to crowded board. I'll probably just buy a new lh1000 to have a warranty.

17. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    That's a cool little pedal. Don't think I've seen that one before. Great little problem solver in a small package.

18. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I swapped tubes for an hour until I settled on a sovtech 5751 for the lh1000. Then I spent another 2 hours going back and forth between the hartke and magellan, each plugged into a bag end s15d, running each separately, one pre section into the others amp, etc. The lh1000's high headroom preamp definitely has a clearer sound and it's transformer power section does have a heft that the class d doesn't. That said, the magellan is very focused and on a winter night, you will want to grab the class d for a gig. Lower headroom preamps definitely have a more "pinched" sound and feel that can make them a bit, more mid focused or even honky when compared to a high headroom design. That combined with class d and neo makes the contrast of lead sled amps, high voltage preamps and ceramic speakers more obvious. Both a great but, different.

hennessybass and wave rider like this.
  19. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    The next experiment is to compare the lh1000 to one side of my carvin 3800lx, each just used as a power amp for an external preamp. The carvin is amps and the hartke is toroidial. This should clinch it.

20. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I compared the power section of the lh1000 with one side of the carvin 3800lx. Low end heft/punch/girth/control were very similar on both. The lh1000 was alittle clearer up top. The carvin is 20lbs lighter and even more powerful, not that anyone needs it or can actually use it all.

My conclusion is that even though much better educated people will say that any design can be tweaked to sound any way, in the end, class d amps currently can't match a toroidial powered amp and neo speakers don't sound the same as ceramics. I have spent enough of my money to find out and that is my conclusion. Seriously, enough money to buy a small house. I own and love some great class d amps and neo loaded cabs but, there is a difference. Weight is the only issue to consider.