1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Maggini copy bass (with chromatic C extension)

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by Adrian Cho, Mar 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    ** SOLD ** Maggini copy Italian bass located in Ottawa, Canada.

This bass features violin corners, a four-piece rounded back, double purfling (a classic Maggini trademark), a fully chromatic C extension made by Bill Merchant, "Knobel" tuning machines from Gallery Strings, a carved tailpiece, and a Vektor contact microphone "pickup" located discreetly in the bass-side bridge foot. If you are not familiar with this pickup, it has amazing sound reproduction and the installation is extremely neat.

This instrument is believed to have been made by an an unknown Italian maker in the mid-1960s. All aspects of the workmanship are excellent.

String length: 41 1/2"
    Back length (excluding button): 43"
    Upper bout: 21
    Centre bout: 15"
    Lower bout: 26 1/2"
    Rib depth: 8 1/2"

This bass is in pristine condition. It has an extremely resonant body, a huge sound, and is very satisfying to play. It is suitable for playing all kinds of music. While the shoulders are high, they do not get in the way as the neck is set out quite far from the body.

A preamp for the Vektor pickup will be included with the bass.

Photos and other information available at:

http://www.adriancho.com/Photos/Italian bass

It kills me to have to part with this bass but I am forced to do so for financial reasons. It's a great bass for any kind of music with an incredibly resonant body.

2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Who is the maker? When was it built?

3. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    As you'll read on the webpage, the maker is unknown. It is a reputed to be an Italian maker but there is nothing to substantiate this but then many people I have spoken to say there is no reason to doubt it. As for the age, it is reputed to be mid-1960s according to the history that was passed down but it is in pristine condition and looks more like it is perhaps twenty years old. As Bill Merchant said, regardless of who made it, it is a fine example of someone's excellent workmanship and is definitely a fully handmade instrument.

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Arggh. Hate to hear that.

5. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Adrian, I've always admired that bass when you've posted pictures previously. I have a nasty feeling that it will be too expensive for me to consider, but even so - do you have a price in mind?

6. 61pollmann

61pollmann Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Asking price?

7. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Big shoulders, very pretty! I love the slope of the sides where they join the neck, very elegant. I guess I have the same ?, how much?

az

8. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I am somewhat negotiable on the price since I'm selling it for financial reasons but ideally it would be within the $11 - 12K US range.

9. I'd be pleased to discuss the bass with you. Email me with contact info please.

W.

10. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Wujekna, I sent you a PM am not sure you are checking it. E-mail ME if you want to chat.

11. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Due to the length of time I've had this bass on the market, I'm a little more negotiable on the price now. I'm being forced to sell it for financial reasons. I'm also willing to consider a trade for a less bass plus cash which might work out well for someone wanting to upgrade.

12. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Still available Adrian?
    I'm doing some cleanup on the forum.

Regards,
    François

13. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    No it's sold as per the "** SOLD **" in the subject.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.