1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Magic Eraser on finish! Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by medmed, Jan 4, 2012.

1. medmed

medmed

Dec 28, 2011
    So my dumb friend took a magic eraser to a corner of my 1972 Gibson EB-3. Walnut finish.

Looks like it wasn't too rough, but I don't know if it like... dissolved the finish? Or just smudged it up. It's just not shiny there. Looks smudged.

Would guitar polish work? Or is this going to get crazy.

2. Liam Wald

Liam Wald Supporting Member

May 17, 2011
    California Coast
    He made it a "relic". Now it's worth more.

3. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    How is it that your friend was in a position to have your forty year old vintage bass in one hand and magic eraser in the other? I guess I don't understand why he's dumb.

4. medmed

medmed

Dec 28, 2011
    We share a practice space. I'm dumb, I know. Now what do I do.

5. Those things feel like ultra fine grit sandpaper to me

6. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    Hey. now its one of a kind!

7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    pic?

8. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    If you're brave, acetate (sp?) - fingernail polish remover. It will definitely remove the marker. It may remove the finish, but it might not, too.

KO

9. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Mother's scratch remover, it's a buffing polish for cars. Take some of that and rub with a clean dry cloth. Start lightly and then give more elbow grease as needed.

I've used that on a couple of my basses to reduce the visibility of some pretty prominent scratches and fingernail marks. It's not a really aggressive abrasive, so you'll have to rub it a fair bit to get the finish back up. I recently used it on our varnished pine dining room table where the finish had been dulled by a hot plate or cup. My wife thought the table was ruined. Mother's brought the gloss back up on that too.

10. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    What marker??

You could try some polishing compound like Scratch-X 2.0. It's a petty mild micro abrasive, I've used it safely on my basses. There are more aggressive products like 3M Scratch and Swirl Remover that some folks use to remove haze on bodies.

For deeper cutting compounds, then there's a bunch of 3M products such as Finesse It, Perfect It II, and Prefect It 3000. Some of these are for use with buffing devices only.

11. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    Are you going to try to repair this.. Before or after you slip with your belt sander on one of his instruments?

But seriously...

Depending on how bad it is you would probably better off just leaving it. Repairing it badly is more likely to make issue bigger and more noticeable. But, I would suggest taking it to a professional and getting their opinion before attempting any sort of half assed "fix" that may actually make the problem worse.

I have seen far too many "fixes" that started with a small ding/ scratch/ dent/ craze/ finish crack ending up really destroying the instrument. That small blemish that most would chalk up to normal wear and tear suddenly became, "*** is that?"

12. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    If you're brave, acetate (sp?) - fingernail polish remover. It will definitely remove the marker. It may remove the finish, but it might not, too.

do not use acetone. it will remove the finish. I would try some swirl remover as suggested in a few of the previous replies.

13. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    DO NOT USE FINGERNAIL POLISH REMOVER UNLESS YOU WANT TO REMOVE THE FINISH! it will disolve the lacquer.

14. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Magic ERASER, not a magic MARKER - he's not trying to remove anything from the finish. Also, as others have said, this will remove the finish too.

A magic eraser is made of melamine foam. So, although soft to the touch, at the microscopic level, it is very much a fine abrasive. Melamine foam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A little scratch remover and a buffing pad and it'll be back to normal in about 2 minutes.

15. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Before you make it worse, take a look at the package the Magic Eraser came in and you'll find a 1-800 number to call. The company is very responsive to consumer questions and probably has a solution to your problem. You might even get lucky and get a free box of Mr. Clean Magic Erasers sent to you that you could use to return the "favor" to whatever instrument your band mate that caused the problem plays.

16. +1,000,000

Seriously, try Meguier's Scratch Remover (my personal choice) or Scratch-X, as Coolhandjjl said - follow the instructions on the bottle (and don't just use any old rags to apply and buff it off). I've treated a number of scratches/abrasions on my basses that way, and I've been able to repair/hide/take care of them.

Remember to be PATIENT. Two or three buffs is not going to fix it.

Meguier's goes for about $7 a bottle at auto parts stores.

EDIT: Just saw Hawkeye and Coolhandjjl's posts. derp.

17. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Thanks to all for the correction.

KO

18. medmed

medmed

Dec 28, 2011
    thanks dudes.

what about regular guitar polish, like the stuff dunlop makes?

19. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    That won't take the scratches out.

20. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    That will only make it worse, it will cloud the finish even further. It's designed for new poly finishes, not vintage laquers.

I use Meguiars liquid automotive paint polishes and a soft facial towel...better results.