1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Magic pratice amp!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lincoln, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    A while ago I saw ads in Bass Player magazine about a practice amp system ( may not have even been an amp ) that attaches to the body of the instrument and transduces the vibrations so that you can hear it in headphones.

has anyone also seen this? used this? know how much it costs to purchase?

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
  3. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    ah yes!

Thanks! How's come it didn't work well?

4. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    A few of mine were natural finishes (the suction cups wouldn't stick very well), the others were too "shapely", was too hard to find a spot that stayed flat across. It did work alright on my guitar though.

5. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    gotcha...

may have to invest in one!

6. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
  7. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    The Dragonfly was a fail for me because any time anything (like clothing) touches the tubing it produces loud noise. Great idea, no so wonderful IME however.

8. Scionreality

Scionreality

Dec 18, 2007
    Akron, Ohio
    I also got one from TB. I use it when it's very inconvienient to use an amp, even with headphones. If I want to grab the bass and go for a walk somewhere to practice, or just go outside, out of town trips, etc.

You can't expect great tone from one, but for practice sometimes I don't mind. I've gotten enough use from mine.

I usually stick it on the upper horn.

Also, it will emphasize fret noise and finger noise and such. If you're trying to work on smoother technique it might be useful for that, too.

9. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    I practice on my lunch hours at work and I like the idea of not having to plug into anything...

Smoother technique never hurt anyone!

10. Seems as if it would work WAY better on a bass,due to the enhanced vibration of the bigger gauged strings.
    Not a bad idea.

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I got one free from TB.
    It works but I'm not a fan of headphones for bass.
    I too had issues with sticking on natural finish.