Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Magic Stomp EB

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mark Bass, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Mark Bass

Mark Bass

Aug 20, 2005
    Yo, Has anyone tried or heard the new Yamaha Magic Stomp EB. It sounds pretty hot (as far as features, price and flexibility) but, I've never tried one or heard it in action. I was looking for an Akai Deep Impact pedal to get the keyboard/organ/synth bass thing happening. It seems like this pedal may do all that and more...How does it sound though?! If anyone knows anything about using this pedal for upright or electric (or knows someone who does), I would love to hear what you have to say. Thanks, MB

2. PaulF

PaulF

Nov 17, 2004
    I had a quick play on one a while ago in a local shop - some very good sounds - the presets are a bit naff (aren't they always!). Lots of OD / Dist stuff in there (which I'm not interested in).. The Chorus / Flanger type stuff sounded quite good - there's lot's of parameters to adjust (possibly too many?) - but you do get 3 real time knobs (and you can choose which parameters to put on them for each patch).
    2 things have put me off enough not to buy one (and I was seriously considreing it) -
    1. lack of volume pedal - this is a matter of choice - I'm not sure how much I'd use a vol pedal, but without one I'd end up using multiple patches of the same sound at different volumes to give me some vol control (which would make changing to different sounds not so 'slick' as I'd have to scroll through the 5 'clean' sounds to get onto my 5 'chorus' sounds, and remember which vol version I was on to get the same one in 'chorus'.
    2. The thing is built very well, and wouldprobably stand upt o life on stage without a pedalboard/case - EXCEPT - the bl**dy thing has an external 'wall wart' power supply. When will the manufacturers realise than anythingn that is going anywhere near a bass players feet needs to have standard IEC mains connections (like the Behringer FCB1010 pedal board does). I decided I'd end up building a custome pedal board/case thing for it just for the pedal and it's power supply (with an IEC input on it for mains) - which seems a lot of hassle.
    The problem is, there's no alternative out there that overcomes both of these issues (the ME50b/GT6B both have wall warts as well)

So at the moment I'm not getting anything....

But, to answer your questions, the Yamah is very flexible, and has some great effects (and I was impresed with the EQ - it has 'proper' EQ that you can use to tailor your sound (as opposed to the ME50B/GT6B that seem to tie the EQ to the amp simulators)

Try and find one in a shop to play with - they're very good..

PaulF