Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

magnatone basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayertogo, Aug 7, 2002.

1. bassplayertogo

bassplayertogo

Jun 12, 2002
    florida
    i have a really old vintage bass. on it's head stock it says that is is a "MAgnatone Hurricane". i love this bass. it has one pickup near the bridge. it looks like a single coil guitar pickup. the sound is awesome and i love the neck. anyway. i was wondering if anyone has heard of magnatone basses. i got it for christmas from a friend of the family. and i haven't heard anything about magnatone. thanks.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

They were unjustly ignored, IMO. When knights were still slaying dragons, the guitarist in one of the most popular local bands had a tri-pup Magnatone guitar and I thought had everything a Fender Strat offered.

The store where I took music lessons in the late 60's/early 70's, Mel Bay, had a blue Magnatone Hurricane on the wall and I still remember a guy trying it out through a huge Gibson tube amp. It certainly was a "hurricane." The craftsmanship looked as good as any Fender (these were the pre-CBS days), to me. Of course, this was before active electronics became so popular and articulate treble wasn't what bassist were after.

Unfortunately, Magnatone instruments were overshadowd by their extensive amp line. Amps were their emphasis.

Try using the terms "Estey" and "Magna Electronics" in a search. You may find a source who could tell you a lot more than just my personal experience.

3. bassplayertogo

bassplayertogo

Jun 12, 2002
    florida
    thank you for the information.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sorry, I couldn't offer more, togo. Just because the product is good doesn't mean it gets the popularity it should. And these were damn good, IMO.

But, hype is a fact of capitalist life unfortunately and that's why marketing weasels have jobs. :D

5. IF YOU WANT TO SELL OR WANT TO SELL THE BRIDEG/PICKUP COVERS LET ME KNOW

6. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    You bumped a 14 year old thread.

7. Illegal in some states

8. Since the thread has been bumped, I will ask any Maggie owners out there how they handle string alignment at the bridge. As many good points as the Maggie Hurricane has,
    that bridge could be a deal breaker. The platform that houses the saddles wants to slide off the raising/lowering wheels, which is maddening. But the slots in the saddles for the D and A strings do not line up with the scallops in the platform they are to pass through coming off the tailpiece. The E and G strings are fine in this respect, but not the A and D. Can't find much on this on the web. Any other Maggie owners notice this? How do you handle it?

9. can you post a picture of your issue and I'll check it out

10. here is a video I made for you of my bridge can you post a picture of yours and I will look at it .... http://vimeo.com/87998057

11. Pat's video did the trick. At some point my bridge had got flipped around so that the saddle adjusting screws were facing the wrong way. I did not know this since I had no standard of comparison . . . before the video. But flipping the bridge back around cured most of the problem.

Thanks! BTW, my Maggie is a sunburst just like yours.

12. Yikes! A second look at the video . . . I did not realize you had created that just for my benefit. Wow! Talk about going the extra mile. At present I am not set up for taking and posting pics, or I would have.

But all the bridge close-ups clarified everything. The things I saw on my bridge that I though were oddities, I see also on your bridge. So, closure for me.

As to the cover, for the moment I want to keep the bass intact. If I decide to sell, that cover will be needed for added value. At present I still am evaluating my basses to categorize them as keepers or movers. I want to put up review videos for anything I sell, before I sell it, mostly or the historical record. There are many basses I do not see represented on YouTube.

13. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Actually, only about 11 1/2 years, but VERY COOL!!! Here's a guy looking for a bridge cover for an obscure bass posting a video that helps another enthusiast correct a problem that's probably been nagging him for a while!! Plus, I get to see some pix of yet another cool, funky old axe that I can lust after! GO TALKBASS!!!

-robert

14. I just got the Maggie about a month ago ..there was a black one on ebay I lost at the last 15 seconds I really wanted so I researched it down the original owner had it on another site for $700 and couldn't sell it so he sent it to vintage city and they gave him $105.00 for it was the one that sold on ebay for $700 ...so I did find the one in the video for more$$$ I really wanted the black sparkle one...I also have a few rare basses a couple ampeg scroll tops, hohner black widow, kawai teardrop, and of course some fenders...I know I'll probably never find the bridge cover for my Maggie I'll have to resurrect another 15 yr old link somewhere....anytime get with me if your selling your bass or cover.....the magnatone is a great bass!

15. what else was your bridge issue if you notice on the video the bridge height adjust screws (brass) are all the way down if yours are a lot higher you may have to shim the neck, or lower them, then use the neck adjusting screw to adjust the neck tilt for lower action.....

16. Actually, action and set up are not the problems. Those adjustments I can do. My A and D saddles have some toe-in toward one another, but I see the same thing on your bass and I've noticed it in some bridge close-ups on the web. I guess it's normal.

I feel your pain about the missed opportunities, like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-MAGNAT...S-/271388891668?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f3009da14

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-196...589?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5401e0115d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-196...507?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4179cba553

That last one hurts in particular; shoulda tossed in a bid. And I WOULD have bid on that neck if I had seen the auction-- for a fretless.

17. the first one was the one I lost at the last second ...the blue one would have been perfect ..perfect price ..

18. I'll keep you in mind, Pat, if I decide to sell Maggie. As to the cover, have you checked into generic aftermarket covers? If you find one that's sized right, a machine shop may be able to cut an opening for the mute wheel.

19. got to be original for me!