Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Magnavox made Ampeg SVT question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BASS_PLAYERS, May 6, 2001.

1. BASS_PLAYERS

BASS_PLAYERS

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    I know that there have been a couple of different manufacturers that have made Ampeg SVT's over the years and I have recently found a Magnavox Made SVT that I would like to purchase. What I am wanting to know is what are the charactoristics of that particular manufacturer. Are there any quality or sound issues involved or are they all the same?
    Also why is the head rated at 300 watts@2 or 4 ohms but the 4x10 svt classic cab is rated at 8 ohms. Wouldn't this put the power at 150 watts?? Also i was wonder ing if the new SVT's Made by st. louis music were any better or worse.

2. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    From what i understand is the magnavox era ones are still good, maybe had some quality issues being made by a big television manufacturer but still very good. The SLM ones aren't as good as an old one. Quality went down and they have weird problems with overload protection circuitry and other junk like that. Ampeg is now made by the same makers of crate to give you an idea.

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    bull

4. Here's the deal: Magnavox bought Ampeg in 1971 and got rid of it in 1980 (not 100% sure on dates but they're close). Most of the "vintage" Ampegs out there are from the Magnavox era. I own a '76 SVT and it is constructed very well and has great components. Personally, I don't think quality slipped much between the Linden days and the Magnavox era. That being said, you need to be careful when purchasing any old amp because of the age. Components do wear out (esp. capacitors). The SVT is a tube amp so it has a transformer between the power amp and speaker outputs (unlike solid state amps). There are only 4 ohm and 2 ohm taps, so those are the impedences of the cabs you should use. Although you'd probably be OK running an 8 ohm cabinet off it. This transformer enables tube amps to have the same output power at different impedences.
    SLM Ampegs are most definately not made as well as the old ones. The components are not as good and the construction is not as good. I made these observations from having them apart and comparing the new ones to mine. I don't think that the SLM Ampegs are terrible, but there are definately quality issues there. Also, an SVT Classic is NOT the same amp as the older SVTs. It has different tubes and different circuitry and it definately sounds different. Sorry if that offends anyone but that's the way it is.

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Happily heading into year #9 with the same SLM Ampeg head (steady weekend gigging)
    No problems at all. Normal problems or weird problems with overload protection circuitry and other junk like that. I must have gotten the only one they made that didn't suck.

6. I don't think anyone said they suck...except maybe Psycho Bass Guy.

7. I never said they sucked. How about actually reading my post before you get defensive? I love Ampegs, I own one. I'm just reporting my observations from having had many of them apart. I also think it's great that you've not had any problems with yours.

8. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    My response was directed at timv's comment If you'll go back and read my post I actually used his words. It just really bothers me that people go around spreading untruths about a reputable company that makes a quality product. There are people on TB that are actually looking to form an opinion on products by what is said here. If you own an SLM product that has blown up within it's 5 year warranty by all means let us know about it. Also let us know how Ampeg handled the warranty claim. But blanket statements like Ampeg has quality control problems because they are made by the same people that make Crate, doesn't do anybody any good.

9. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    Ok, I've heard about quality problems with newer ones and protection circuitry problems where the amp would cut out in the middle of a song. Did i say they suck? I just said that the older ones are better quality. I had an SVT II which was a pain to work on and I have a 77 magnavox era one which is much better built and easier to work on. I went and looked at an SVT Classic about 6 years ago and turned it on to try it out and the red fault warning led went on. That made me think twice about getting it. I've read a few things about newer ones and yes some is based on psycho bass guys opinion that the new ones sucked but i didn't say i thought they sucked. I've seen plenty of bands using them and they sound good and i haven't witnessed one failing on them, just most opinions i've heard are the old ones are better. I have a crate PA which has never let me down. Crate is just known to be a lower line of amps and AMpeg is now made by the same company.

10. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    cb56. I just read you profile. You have an all solid state ampeg head, don't you? We are talking about the all tube ampeg SVT heads. Thats a little different. I haven't heard anything bad about the solid state heads or the mix tube solid state heads. I did hear that the SVT 3 pro and 4 pro were a little over rated. Not putting out the 450 watts as stated for the 3 pro.

11. Good to hear from you PBG!

12. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Well I have a SLM SVT Classic and a SVT3 Pro and love the sound of both of them accept that my Classic Groundfaults sometime in the middle of playing. It just happens whenever and it never gives me any warning, it happens at low volume, loud volume 4 ohm cabs, 2 ohm cabs, 8 ohm cabs whatever. I have owned this amp for about a year and I must say I'm really disappointed in it. I have had it looked at three times and three different amp guy's and no one can figure it out. The worst thing about it is I can't gig with it and it's relegated to being my rehearsal amp because I can't trust it.
    Now my SVT3 Pro on the other hand is one of the best amps I have ever owned, I have had it for three years and have never had a problem.
    I'm looking to trade the CL in on the next good Vintage Ampeg tube head that comes through Daddy's.
    That's the other thing I can't sell it to no one the way it is, sure it might not GroundFaulted for 2 or 3 months but it's gaureteed to happen sooner or later! I know how pissed I was when it first happened because I bought it used from Daddy's and it made it pass the 30 day warrenty before it GroundFaulted. That's my deal.

13. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Yeah that's the problem with buying used, you never really know the history of the amp. Of course if it was new you'd have that Ampeg 5 year warranty and could get it repaired or replaced. I'm having a problem with a Hartke that I bought used for a back up it made it past the 30 day period then started snap crackle popping.

14. BASS_PLAYERS

BASS_PLAYERS

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    Thanks, but I wound up going w/ an SWR Bass 350 head and a Goliath 3 cab. I am afraid of the new Ampegs too....I tried one out the other day and it was making some really weired poping and crackling sounds. And the Magnavox one had already been sold. Thanks anyway :)

15. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    See!!! I knew it!!!
    Those Ampegs are all crap!