Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

magnet alignment with Fender Sting bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jlsbass, Sep 11, 2003.

1. jlsbass

jlsbass

Aug 8, 2003
    ottawa,ontario
    Hi,

I have a Fender Sting bass with the single coil '54 style pickup ... here's my problem ...

The strings don't seem to align very well with the individual magnets on the pickup - its the most off on the low E and A strings ... the E being almost completely off the magnet center. I've tried adjusting the bridge to compensate but to no avail.

Is this something that I should be overly concerned with ? ie Is this par for the course?
    I was thinking about unscrewing the pickup from the wood and moving it over a tad ... then re-screwing the pickup (into new wholes) .

thanks so much in advance,
    John.

2. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Nothing to worry about John. The question to ask yourself is "how does it sound"?
    In many cases, perfect pole/string alignment is not the best case. Certain strings can have a tendency to be louder due the increased size of the string core. The increased size attracts more magnetic field and ultimately creates more output.
    Eventually it comes down to sound anyway.

Another concept to consider is that the magnetic field is much wider than most people think and the E string, though not centered on the pole is still completely inside the magnetic field.

Best of luck.

Rodney

3. jlsbass

jlsbass

Aug 8, 2003
    ottawa,ontario
    Thanks Rodney (-:

Can those pole pieces be raised or lowered easily?

I have noticed other pickups where the center 2 poles are raised slightly ... seemingly to allow for the higher string height of the middle 2 strings (ie which follow the natural slope of the radiused fingerboard).

Does this make sense?