Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Magnet Size and Sensitivity differences of EA VL-210 Series Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BSR6P-Bob, Mar 3, 2006.

1. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    There has always been a bit of confusion about this so hopefully this will help. This is direct from John at EA.

"VL-210 were made with woofers that had 67oz, 80oz and 105oz magnets.

Your unit (VL-210B) has the 80oz magnets. There is a 1.5dB increase as you go up each step in magnet weight."

So it seems to play out like this:
    VL-210 (Original) - 67oz
    VL-210B (B in serial#) - 80oz magnets
    VL-210C (C in serial#) - 105 oz magnets

Any VL-210 can be upgraded to B or C version as woofer replacements are available. As are mids and tweeters.

2. I'm going to throw a wrench in to the mix.

I have a VL-210. I emailed Jon with my #'s and he says I have the B version with 80oz magnets. BUT I have the red badge. Wrap your mind around that. (I'm still trying to) I'm still very confused.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I will back up both the information listed above regarding magnets (I have been told the same) and I can also confirm that the badge configuration and even the model number do not always equate to which drivers are in a given cab. I have a white badge "VL-210" with the 80 oz. drivers. But, it's a good rough guide.

Great cabs, from a stellar company! :)

Tom.

4. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    The serial number IS what counts and there are likely transition models that had "B" magnets but Red badges.

I'm taking the Badge designation out to keep this less murky and more fitting to the point of this post. To REDUCE confusion.

Thanks for spotting this.

Also, bear in mind that on the used market a previous owner may have done the speaker mod/upgrade which would still leave the original serial #, badge etc... on the cab.

So much for my reducing confusion. :rolleyes:

Bob

5. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    Agreed Tom!

Also, I had an original series VL-210 back in 1997/98 and it was wonderful. The main reason I was anxious to get that "tight bottom" sound back again. I'd have no hesitation about purchasing any of the VL 10 series, regardless of woofer magnet size.

The EA customer service is also "above and beyond".

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Most definitely. And even on long discontinued gear. Their level of service to all users of their gear (whether purchased new or used) is extremely impressive.

Tom.

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    As far as I can tell, the downside of increasing magnet weight (and thus magnetic field strength) is that you increase the back EMF on low frequencies which reduces the low frequency efficiency. You do gain SPL higher up but lose some extension. It's all trade offs!

Alex