Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Magnetic argument

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jobu3, May 25, 2002.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    My guitarist and i got into a heated (not really) argument over whether or not you can use a magnetic tipped screwdriver on your pick ups. I say its not a good idea that it could mess with the polarity and charge of the pup coils and he had no clue what the heck I was talking about. Does it make any difference?Thanks guys...

2. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Not as far as I know .......

3. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I dont really think that a little screw driver would be able to change the polarity of a pick up or charge the coils. Maybe a more powerful magnet would be able to but i dont think a little screw driver would. But dont quote me on this cause i have never seen the results. I use non- magnetic screw drivers for everything.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Don't bother worrying about it.

It takes more than a tiny screwdriver to mess with a pickup.

5. Why don't you try in the Luthier's forum? Maybe they might have an answer...

6. It's actually the other way round: The pickup will mess up the magnetic charge and polarity of the screwdriver. Most pickups use one or more very strong magnets of a few ounces (ever weighed a pickup? They're heavy, and not only because there's a mile of copper wire in it)

Better use a non-magnetic screwdriver as not to magnetise the screwdriver ;)

On a side note: never drop a pickup. Sudden heavy shocks may really mess up the magnetic charge.