1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Magnetic argument

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jobu3, May 25, 2002.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    My guitarist and i got into a heated (not really) argument over whether or not you can use a magnetic tipped screwdriver on your pick ups. I say its not a good idea that it could mess with the polarity and charge of the pup coils and he had no clue what the heck I was talking about. Does it make any difference?Thanks guys...

2. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Not as far as I know .......

3. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I dont really think that a little screw driver would be able to change the polarity of a pick up or charge the coils. Maybe a more powerful magnet would be able to but i dont think a little screw driver would. But dont quote me on this cause i have never seen the results. I use non- magnetic screw drivers for everything.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Don't bother worrying about it.

It takes more than a tiny screwdriver to mess with a pickup.

5. Why don't you try in the Luthier's forum? Maybe they might have an answer...

6. It's actually the other way round: The pickup will mess up the magnetic charge and polarity of the screwdriver. Most pickups use one or more very strong magnets of a few ounces (ever weighed a pickup? They're heavy, and not only because there's a mile of copper wire in it)

Better use a non-magnetic screwdriver as not to magnetise the screwdriver ;)

On a side note: never drop a pickup. Sudden heavy shocks may really mess up the magnetic charge.