Magnetic fields from cabs/speakers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by suicas, Nov 22, 2004.

1. suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    Been wondering just how strong the fields around most bass cabs are, and what danger they pose to other electrical equipment (mostly concerned about computer hard drives).

Most non magnetically shielded speakers/subs I've had usually have some warning about keeping TVs and computer equipment at least a couple of feet away from them.
    I assume most bass cabs are the same (though I've not seen an explicit wanring on mine).

How close would it be safe to put a laptop or PC? Any shielded cabinets available?

Mostly wondering about how to most efficiently lay out my room/studio (as it's getting cramped..), and about using a laptop for backing at gigs..

2. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    the magnetic field from 3 bass cabs caused me to become a mutant.
  3. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    the magnetic field from 3 bass cabs caused me to become a student.
  4. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    The magnetic feels from 3 bass cads caused me to become more prudent.
  5. mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Computer cases have shielding for electromagnetic fields in them, so you should be ok. But if you're paranoid, which is perfectly reasonable, I wouldn't put any valuable electronic gear by the amp. Weird stuff can happen sometimes.
  6. The Magnetic Field's 3 disc set 69 love songs caused me to have renewed faith in limitless creativity.
  7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

After reading the 'Doors of Perception' by Aldous Huxley and listening to the Airplane and Dead, all I can say is

"What me worry?"

Why are those Texans still calling me a Blue Meanie? :eek:
  8. suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    Time to start folding my tin foil hat together I guess.
  9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Here are the instructions in case you forgot: