Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

magnetic mounting ????

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by triggerno9, Nov 6, 2005.

1. triggerno9

triggerno9

Sep 23, 2005
    Hi There
    i like to experiment with my pickups (even when i'm happy with my sound !) i'm wanting to try a magnetic pickup system, to see what sort of sound i get. i have some precission bass pickups and want to mount them to the end of my finger board but don't really know how to mount them nice and tight. if anyone has any ideas or plans i would be greatful. photos would be even better !!
    cheers.
    guytrigg@yahoo.co.uk

2. Try this: stick a large pad of Velcro under the fingerboard; mount each half of the P-bass pickup on a separate strip of metal or thin wood, each with a genrous quantity of Velcro on the end. I've done a little experimenting with this - I used 1" x 1/8" aluminium strips so I could bend them into position.
    BTW, I think the sound is tighter (and you can position the PU closer to the strings) some distance from the end of the fingerboard - say about half way to the bridge.

Don't forget to thoroughly shield all the pickup wiring, as it won't have a shielded pickup cavity to protect it from hum.

3. triggerno9

triggerno9

Sep 23, 2005
    cheers man.
    i thought aluminium was the way to go.

4. s8njr

s8njr

Nov 29, 2007
    would you happen to have any pics