Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Magnetic Pick up

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Kevinlee, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Does anyone out there know if a magnetic P.U. will work on say Obligatoe strings? I am told they are steel coated but synthetic core of some kind. The reason I question this is I am currently using all steel, but I have tried this P.U. with an E and A Labella supernil, and they are nylon core with some kind of chrome wrapping. Maybe this doesn't qualify as steel because they did not pick up. Anyway if anyone has had any experience along these lines with anything besides all steel strings I would like to know.

Thanks
    Kevin

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The construction of the Obligatos parallels that of the E and A Supernil. I don't think you'd have any success with a mag pickup and Obligatos - the metal content will likely be insufficient to get a decent signal.

3. Blaine

Blaine

Aug 4, 2001
    new york area
    Hi, I've found that Obligatos do not work with a mag but Innovations do.

4. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Thanks, what's the tension like on the innovations? Do you happen to play any slap? I'm currently involved in two projects, one jazz and the other rockabilly and I'm trying to find a string that I can do both with. And also is there more than one type of innovation string and if so which ones are you referring to.

Kevinlee

5. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    You can check http://www.innovationstrings.com for Innovation strings info.
    They're available in synthetic solid core (140H), synthetic braided core (140B), and Rockabilly set. (black nylon wound)
    The 140 series are wound with flat metal.
    The 140H is brighter and recommended for jazz.
    The 140B is darker and recommended for arco.
    The Rockabilly set is intended for slap playing. However I've read a few negative comments about them. Search the "Strings[DB]" archives for more info.