1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Magnetic Pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Grizzly700, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Literally. I have a 1983 T-40 and when you press the string down hard enough it actually sticks to the pickups. It only does this on the E string and the neck pickup, if i am digging in fairly hard it makes a really loud clicking noise when the string start to stick. Any ideas how to fix it?

2. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Get a new pickup. Of course every (magnetic) pickup experiences this to some degree, I've never heard of one that the strings stick to while they're tuned up. That's some powerful magnetism. And there's no way to weaken it. Of course, you could try lowering the pickups first, but then you're gonna lose volume and have a little (probably insignificant) change in tone. All pickups "click" if you touch the strings to them, that's something that will DEFINITELY be solved by lowering them.

Thinking about it a second time, I just find it really hard to believe that this would happen in any pickup at a normal height. You probably just need to lower them.

3. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Sounds to me like the easiest solution would be to lower the pickups, or don't dig in to your low E.

Another solution would be to cover the pickups somehow; it lowers the volume and changes the sound of the click. I covered one of my exposed pole piece pickups with gaff tape, and it works great. Another bass player I know did the same on his Geddy jazz, and it worked well there, too.

4. Ten Four One

Ten Four One

Dec 5, 2006
    What they said. Assuming the strings are the gauge you want & the bass is set up the way you want, lower the pickups and/or find some sort of pickup covers and/or adjust your style.

M0ses - I checked & these basses end to have a pickup really close to the neck, it may have more pull on the string there because there's just more leeway the closer you get to the center of the string.