Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Magnetic pickups

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by jjq, Apr 9, 2005.

1. jjq

jjq

Mar 25, 2005
    Can anyone suggest a supplier of magnetic pickups suitable for elelectric (or acoustic for that matter) upright basses?

Tia,

JJ

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
  3. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    I remember looking into the Moses thing after stumbling across something like it on Bob Gollihur's site (I think?). This was probably 2 years ago, or so, and at the time, all I could get from anybody I asked about it was that it was a no-go for manufacturing. But, that link looks real/official/current to me. Are they now making it?

4. I checked with Moses - they're no longer making it.
    Wish they'd update the website.

5. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    I've owned a Pierre Josephs String Charger. I'm not in to magnetic pick ups*, but it had a good sound and was reliable. I personally would not fuss with p-bass pick ups, etc. Just go with a proven product like the String Charger. You'll save time and money in the long run.

*Reason- They don't sound natural, like an upright bass. They sound like a fretless electric.

Why are you looking for a magnetic? Feedback issues?

6. mikjans

mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    You could also try find a Schaller, especially if you´re looking for something to use in connection with a piezo and a mixer. Schallers sound OK and you should be able to get one at around USD 100-150. They´re easily mounted at the end of the fingerboard and I think you can find one at some German mail order music store.

Mikael

7. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I bought a Schaller about 15 years ago. (and sold it soon after)
    The drawbacks were: poor mounting hardware design (the assembly at the end of the FB was not rigid), and the coil system was not hum-bucking. It was very sensitive to electrical noise.
    If the design is still the same, I wouldn't recommend it at all.
    Better spend a little more money and get top quality.
    (my $0.02!)

8. jjq

jjq

Mar 25, 2005
    For most of the time (i.e. playing with my main band) I want to use my EUB through the same rig as my bass guitars and piezo sounds pretty dire through an Ashdown ABM stack. To be honest a 100% authentic upright tone isn't really crucial in the context of a dance band, otherwise I'd be going through my full-range combo...

JJ

9. jjq

jjq

Mar 25, 2005
    The Biesele looks ideal, I like the fact that you can balance the strings, and use the pickup it without the pre-amp unit. Hopefully they'll ship to the UK!

JJ

10. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    The String Charger also is adjustable (the pickup element is somewhat flexible) and it doesn't need a preamp. It does have that "P-bass" sound to some degree however. It seems more durable than the Biesele, and the mounting options seem more versatle.
    -jk

11. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have a String Charger for sale. PM me for pricing :D

12. Danho

Danho

Mar 2, 2005
    Columbus Ohio
    I tried the "P-Bass" approach with a pair of Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders for a REALLY loud band.
    They rocked. I sounded like a monster-it was fun for a while, but nothing like an upright.
    I eventually gave up on them after all the mounting and dismounting issues-since they were an eyesore for my regular gigs.
    The MOSES lace has worked very nice. It seemed that if the band was so loud that magnetic pickups were needed, the upright's charm were lost anyway, so I went with the easier pickup.

13. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    I also had a P-bass pickup on an URB a while back. The novelty of playing loud rock gigs with a double bass wears off in a hurry!
    -jk

14. jjq

jjq

Mar 25, 2005
    In the end I went for the Schaller (thanks for the offer of the String Charger but I decided to go cheap to start with :) ). So the most obvious problem is that the pickup wouldn't actually fit on the bass - there are tabs on either side, one holding the jack socket and the other the volume control. The tab with the volume control is too deep for the gap between fingerboard and body. The solution was to remove the volume control entirely and cut the offending piece of metal off, drastic but it worked! Apart from that the mounting to the end of the fingerboard seems relatively stable although you wouldn't want to knock it around too much.

With the pickup fitted I tried it through my Ashdown EVO II & cabs with my usual settings, and actually it doesn't sound at all bad. Much better than the piezo pickup with this amp. Ok it's really not much like an upright tonally speaking, but it's a nice mellow sound that gets the idea across and works well through an EBG amp. It looks ok as well, not too much like an add-on, and output level is much the same as any passive bass.

The end result is quite usable for minimal outlay (100 Euros).

JJ

15. Dan in NJ

Dan in NJ

Sep 3, 2004
    Jersey Shore
    I've used the Biesele for 3 or so years, very happy with it. I blend it with an Underwood on a bass I have set up for loud gigs. One little hint I can offer is once you get it set up just right for you (the positioning of the p/up on yr fingerboard and the trim pots need to be tweaked for string balance) --put some clear nail polish on the set screws.
    Without it, it will rattle loose eventually and fall.

dkimbrobass likes this.
  16. Blaine

Blaine

Aug 4, 2001
    new york area
    I actually have the Moses. the first model had a lot of hum and later I was able to trade for the second design which was more of a humbucker i think. It had more of a natural sound than Quarter Pounder P pickups or the Kent Armstrong. It's a shame they weren't able to keep producing them. But having said that I don't play in as loud situations these days. If anyone wants to buy mine, write.

17. milhanas

milhanas

Apr 22, 2005
    portugal--lisboa
    hello Blaine
    I am interested it says me for how much ?,it would be sending for Portugal (Lisbon)

thank you

18. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Milhanas, please move this to private messaging with Blaine.
    Or move it to the For sale forum.
    Thanks for your cooperation.
    (and BTW, you still didn't answer the reply I wrote in the "Pickups for UEB" thread I made for you...)

19. tastychoice

tastychoice

Oct 22, 2012
    portland
    I know this is an old question but I had the same issue with the doubling eub and Bg. Rather than buying a mag pickup, I went for a radial bassbone preamp. Total control, it's amazing. My only complaint is wishing I could use both instruments at the same time, I wish it was an aby rather than just ab input. Pretty small potatoes.