Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Magnetic Pickups

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by JeffreyG, Apr 26, 2002.

1. I haven't seen any discussion on this forum about magnetic pickups. I know the Jazzers will likley be pretty unanimous against them, but what about for bluegrass and blues. Do you think they completely eliminate the acoustic sound of the bass? Does anyone have any experience with them or know of any good ones? I knew I guy in college that had basically what looked like a P-bass pickup mounted on the bottom of his fingerboard. He only used it in a blues band but frankly it didn't soud much different from his P-bass. I just thought it might be an interesting discussion. Any thoughts?

2. Well, i've mentioned this in other forums already, but i'll put out my two thumbs up for my Biesele pickup system. It's a magnetic pickup that has given me the best bass sound I could ask for. I'll often blend it with a fishman (set up a bit differently) and i've not had a problem in any room since. Check it out.

cb

3. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I use a magnetic pu (EMG select) when I'm playing loud with a loud group. It seems easier to dial in quickly but it does pretty much sound like a great big P-bass.

Although if you use a graphic EQ and scoop out the mids it starts to sound a bit more like an upright.

But you just can't get that warm open airy wood sound. Which is really the beauty of upright bass.

So for jazz (at more reasonable volume) I use the K&K bass max.

Kevinlee