1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

magnetic properties of carbon fiber--OK for pickup covers?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Schizoid75, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    The title says it all. I found a company that's willing to make me custom carbon fiber pickup covers, most likely for Nordstrand Big Singles. Those normally have exposed pole pieces, but Nordstrand has already said that they do covers with non-exposed poles as an option.

So, could I have this company make carbon fiber covers without holes for the pole pieces without affecting the sound? I have no idea if the carbon fiber would interfere with the magnets and the strings. If a fully enclosed version is a bad idea, what if they put in the holes for the pole pieces?

Any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks!

2. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Why?

they would look like standard plastic black covers and they probably cost a fortune!?

M

3. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    CF should not affect the tone but would be kind of a pain to mill in that shape, especialy if you want the weave at the top with no marks and a polished finish

If it just need to be black, Delrin would be a better choice for machining
    Could also laiminate a thing CF strip to a stock cover
    They make contact paper that looks pretty close as well

With that said, there are 3 pieces on my bench for some trick custom brackets for one of my motorcycle projects

4. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    No, it's got nothing to do with color matching and everything to do with carbon fiber. I'd definitely want the weave at the top with a polished finish. The sides would barely be visible, so I guess it doesn't matter what they look like.

I know a carbon fiber overlay would be a whole lot cheaper, but I'd know it was just an overlay and it would bug me.

This is all for a custom build I'm planning. My other big passion in life is Formula One racing and my team is Ferrari. So the entire bass will be finished in red with custom yellow LED's. Carbon fiber is the main component used to build F1 cars, so I feel that I have to get some actual molded carbon fiber pieces onto the bass since it's my tribute to Ferrari.

Now before anyone gets twitchy with the reply button, let me say that I already own a Status Stealth made entirely of carbon fiber and I love it. It's my main bass right now. While I would love to do the whole bass out of carbon fiber, I want a custom body shape. I don't know if Rob Green at Status would even consider it and if he did, I bet it would be well over $10,000. I think wood will be just fine.

I believe this is going to be my 4th custom build and I've learned a lot about what I like and what I don't like through trial and error over the years. I've learned that if you're going to shell out a big sum to get the bass in your head, then get EVERYTHING you want or you'll regret it later. I'm sure I'd be able to buy a fairly nice bass for what these covers will cost me. Don't even ask about the part of the bridge I'm going to have them make! :p

5. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    CF is an awesome material. Also makes the bass less susceptible to bullets. :smug:

Seriously, though, as it's already been pointed out, CF is non-ferromagnetic (like wood) and it should work just fine. Would love to see a CF-woven pickup cover.

6. It wouldnt interup the magnetic field.

7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Carbon fiber is not magnetic, so that's not an issue.

Carbon is slightly conductive, but that's probably not an issue either. Conductivity is the reason why non-magnetic metal covers alter the tone of the pickup.

EMG has conductive carbon in their pickup covers for shielding purposes.

I've been thinking of using carbon fiber on the tops of pickups. It looks very cool.

8. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    +1
    Still wish Shumacher was with them even though he was such a jerk with the Itlaian press and that the locals hate him for only speaking German when in fact he speaks fluent Italian (have relatives still there)

Sounds like you know a lot about the material and your budget is very realistic.
    Love the material and have been using it for my Hot Rod 1972 motorcycle (2-stoke, 3 cylinder Kawasaki)
    It cuts, drill, and taps very well; have not spent much time milling and would think that you could polish the edge grain of a ractuangular piece; have a beautiful top and and not have a problem with machine marks in the cavity as it won't be seen.

LOvE THE IDEA OF A TRIBUTE BASS.
    Please post design and construction photos as they occur
    Maybe have Status mold a few; if Enzo were allive he'd buy one!

9. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I definitely plan on starting a thread for the entire bass once I get the ball rolling on it. I'm just trying to tie up loose ends and work out the details before hopping in.

As for Schumacher, I think I was in mourning for a few months after he lost out on the title in 2006. Kimi winning in 2007 helped, but then the sorrow was repeated when Schumi's protege, Massa, lost out by one point on the last corner of the last lap of the last race of the year in 2008. Ugh. This year it appears that Michael's old cohort Ross Brawn might run away with it all!