1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Magnetic PUP for an acoustic bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mr sprocket, Nov 12, 2006.

1. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    I am thinking of adding a magnetic pup to an acoustic washburn bass. I was wondering if there ar any surface mount pups like some of the jazz guitars use that mount on the surface or to the neck.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Off the shelf pickups, nope.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I haven't seen anything and have been thinking of that myself. One possibility, if you have a soundhole on your bass and enough clearance between the strings and the body, is to make a block of wood to fit across the soundhole and mount the pickup of choice in that.

There's still the problem of tying the pickup in with the active electronics of the Washburn, but you could just bypass all that and use a seperate output for the magnetic pickup. You could use an outboard blender to combine the two signals.

If you decide to do something along this line let me know. I'm interested in how it works out.

4. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    The washburn has those slots for sound holes or I would try something like that.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Oh yes, that model. I have a Godin with no soundholes so have the same problem, except there may be enough solid wood in the neck position of the body to mount a pickup. Good luck finding something.