1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Magnum bass guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metalchickx78, Feb 21, 2008.

1. metalchickx78

metalchickx78

Feb 21, 2008
    Does anyone know more about the company? I searched for it on google and didn't find anything.

2. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Weren't they the basses made by Ovation.

3. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    If he's talking about the same basses, yes. They go for cheap on ebay all the time. I might grab one one day... love the tone off of Tool's album Opiate. Love the sound on the song Hush. It's treble-ish voice is very cool.

4. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    here's a little taster of a Magnum 1 from the late 70's courtesy of strange Brit band Magazine

5. silversport

silversport

Dec 13, 2007
    very cool...good luck with that one you're looking at (I think)...looks sweet!...sounds cool...Ovation...the guitars of the Partridge Family..."C'mon get happy!"...:D
    Bill

6. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Those Magazine clips are cool. Looks like the same concert that the footage of them is from in their appearance in the film, "Urggh! The Music War."

FYI, if you want more samples of the Ovation Magnum, get a copy of this film (Or catch it on cable. It's been on VH-1 a few times I think). Lots of cool footage of New Wave/Punk/Experimental bands from that early 80's era, and there are no less than 3 different bands featured with bassists playing an Ovation Magnum.

7. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
  8. metalchickx78

metalchickx78

Feb 21, 2008
    It's not an Ovation bass. The company's name is Magnum.

9. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Yes, Ovation had the legendary Magnum models I to IV, but that's a different story altogether. There are Magnum brand basses around that look like budget Far Eastern takes on a Fender Precision. I can't offer any details, but because of the lack of information I'd assume they're made in China.

10. metalchickx78

metalchickx78

Feb 21, 2008
    Mine does look like a Fender Precision, it was made in Korea. We've had it for years and I wanted to know if the company was still around. I play guitar, and I'm just switching to bass. Would this be a good bass guitar to start with or should I save for something else?

11. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    As long as it's set up for playing (intonation, straight neck, fair action, working electronics), I don't see why you shouldn't start learning on it straight away. You'll develop preferences soon enough and have a better idea of what you may want in the future.

12. Magnum is a company that makes some cheapish gear...lots of it floating around here in Australia...

Some of the older Magnum stuff actually isn't half bad...I mean, it's hard to stuff up a P-bass clone, really...

I've played two Magnum P copies owned by a couple of young guys at church and they sound half decent...but the boys have them set up really poorly...I reckon a little bit of work and they could be decent players for sure...

13. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    So ugly they are cool

14. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    My first bass was a Magnum. It looked like a 75 Jazz Re-issue, blocks, binding, covers, etc. It was a cheesy plywood bass with the weakest tuning keys in the world.