Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mahavishnu Orchestra

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by sargebaker, Aug 25, 2004.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I bought their debut album "The Inner Mounting Flame" a while back and i adore it, real genious. I can't imagine where so many of the bands I listen to would be if it weren't for them. Anyone got any thoughts to share on this album or any other great albums by them that you suggest i pick up?

Baker

2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Most of the Orchestra stuff is great; its when John started his spritual journey things got a little strange. Even at his weirdest, Mclaughlin is a monster.

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    check out the lost trident tapes. thats a great cd. also worth picking up is john mclaughlin's-heart of things live in paris. thats one of his best albums hes put out in the last couple of decades.

funny, as i type this im listening to the mahavishnu revisited band from 84 with jonas hellborg,bill evans,mitch forman and cobham. its not very good at all and shouldnt even be referred to as a mahavishnu album.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    MO is incredible. I never tire of listening to them. Check out Birds of Fire as well. IMF and BoF are both great albums and if you like one you'll most likely enjoy the other as well.

Tony Levin tells a story of how he missed out on playing with them because when John McLaughlin called his mother took the message and told him that "Murray Vishnu and his Orchestra" (or something like that) were looking for a bassist. :)

brad cook

5. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    thnks for the suggestion, omg that blows... Tony in Mahavishnu woulda been..... :eek: kinda funny though. Oh well he did alright in King Crimson :p

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    John Mclaughlin is one of the greatest guitarists of all time. Not only is a phenomenal player, but he has done such an amazing job fusing western music with indian classical.

If you like Mclaughlin, be sure to check out Shakti.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Couple of other McLaughlin suggestions-

Extrapolation...his debut album(NOT Fusion, per se).
    Jack Johnson...with Miles

+ the first couple Lifetime records(the '1st Fusion band'?)

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...and McLaughlin's Devotion.
    Post-Miles & pre-MO. Raw & rockin' with Larry Young.

9. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I have an older JM live recording in a trio format that features Trilok Gurtu and Kai Ekhardt. I can't remember the name and I can't find it right now but i think it is an incredbile performance and the amount of music the three of them make is astounding.

10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002

Trilok Gurtu is THE stuff...

MO was a big influence on me when i was a kid.

11. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001

Yeah, Trilok's great. He's got a very unique and original style that worked so well with how Kai Ekhardt plays bass.

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002

Plus I think you can count all of the Tibetan jazz drummers we know of on one hand.

13. Unfortunately Trilok isn't one of them :rollno:

According to his website he was born in Bombay (Mumbai) in India. :)

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    But that doesn't mean that you can't count all the tibetan jazz drummers on one hand. ;)

brad cook

15. True ............ very true :)

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have the studio album "Que Alegria" with that trio and it is definitely worth buying - an album I often return to!! :)

17. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    he may have been bornm in bombay but he sports a Tibetan name.

18. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The original Mahavishnu only recorded four albums:

Inner Mounting Flame
    Birds of Fire
    Between Nothingness and Eternity (live)
    Trident Sessions (this went unreleased until a few years ago; it's mostly studio versions of the same songs on the live album).

McLaughlin reused the M.O. name a few times for totally different bands, none of which are nearly as essential to hear IMHO.

BTW, original M.O. bassist Rick Laird is no longer playing music. He now works as a professional pohotographer.

19. I agree, this is a great album.

20. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Everything by Mahavishnu is great.

Visions of The Emerald Beyond is my favorite though...