Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mahogany bodies' sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Le Basseur, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Hi,
    I'd order a Washburn Taurus T24 from my local dealer.I read some comments on this forum about how good it is,fair price/quality,blah blah,but I never played or heard one.
    The Taurus I'd buy is intended to be used as a backup or as an "all-round" for some smaller,faster and short jigs when I really don't have to carry one of my two existing basses,an Yamaha TRB JP and a Warwick Streamer Stage I 4-string fretless.Eventually,I'd may upgrade the original Wahburn's passive electronics with a good on-board preamp.
    What can I expect sound-wise from a mahagony body?
    I never had a mahagony bass,being stuck on alder,maple or ash.However,I liked alot the sound of one of my guitarist's guitars (bolt-on neck,2-piece mahogany body) but I cannot translate that sound into the low end.
    Also,do other companies make their bodies from mahogany (not only tops but full mahogany body)?
    How do they behave?
    Thanks for any input,
    Le Basseur

2. Simian

Simian

Feb 3, 2005
    I have an Ibanez made out of a paduk core with mahogany top and back. The wood is beautiful, and creates a warm tone that resonates mids/highs well without sounding thin. Of course a lot of your sound will come from electronics, but I find the mahogany alone, able to give me a sound that works well in most applications. It will take some getting used to, but you will love it.

3. My Alembic Orion has a mahogany body. IMHO it's the best midrange 'compromise' between the traditionals (alder/ash) and the agressive punch of a maple bodied instrument, which I also own (and love for solo bass). I also find mahogany a very natural and warm sounding body wood.

4. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Wasn't the T-Bird mahogany?

5. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    I love the padauk myself...just look at my Warwick's neck I modded (I got off the fretted wenge fretboard and put a padauk fretboard and applied 4 layers of tung-oil...don't ask me about the radius'value because I made it 'till it fitted my hands! :D )

Thanks for encouragement!
    However,I intend using the Taurus with a minimum electronic contribution (no effects or excessive EQ,just bass into Acoustic tube amp).That's why I asked for the mahagony's character in the first place.

6. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    I don't know...sadly,but I never played one! :bawl:

7. I had a T-bird in the mid-seventies and it was indeed mahogany as someone reminded me in a recent thread (mine was black). Interestingly I tend to gravitate to instruments with a mahogany core, like Wal and Tobias.

Luthiers describe honduran mahogany as "a medium-to-heavy weight open-grained wood". The concensus seems to be that it is warm sounding with slight mid-range accentuation and warm highs. It's a pretty general description, but you probably get the idea.

8. My Guild B302 is all-mahogany (next and body). It's super-thumpy, which I contribute more to pickups and strings than body. I received the bass with black nylon wrapped strings (and ancient ones at that). It was really muddy. So I put on some chrome flatwounds and it was clanky and harsh beyond anything I'd ever heard. So I pulled the flats and put on fresh Fender black nylon wraps and it is just right. Like I said, super thuddy. I would love to swap out the pickups for some barts or something more modern to really get an idea of how the mahogany body affects tone. Maybe some day, and that's only if replacement pickups would drop right in (not sure, the original pickups seem like a weird shape).

What I do know: Mahogany isn't as heavy as I expected. Like I said, 100% mahogany bass and it weighs 8.5 pounds!

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    My Stambaugh fretless-4 has a Mahogany body.
    Strong mids, with good lows and mild treble.
    Good all around sound.