Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mahogany body and wenge neck sounding

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dooft11, Jul 5, 2005.

1. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    anyone has experience with the above combination? i want my fretless with them... how you think

2. Mahogany is a nice heavy wood, so you'll get a really nice low deep sound from it, especially if it's a neck through bass... But that's not your case, you want a wenge neck. In my experience, no other bass neck give you as much "mwah" as a wenge neck... Just ask MTD and Warwick owners, they'll let you know!!!

IMO, I think that combo would work just superb together, and would look amazing! I love me them dark woods!! I guess I got a case of "jungle wood fever" :rollno:

~Ryan.

3. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Wenge neck offers big lows and warm mids.
    I think Mapple is a lit bit brighter.

4. hasadari

hasadari

Jun 23, 2005
    I have a Warwick Thumb 4 thru the body with wenge neck. The neck gives a rigidity and sound thats difficult to describe, but far better than any of my maple-necked bases, whether thru the body or not. :bassist:

5. I've got a Cort Artisian B5 which is mahogany/wenge combination....very nice both tonally and visually...just weighs a lot!

6. My Warmoth-derived, Fenderbird clone is such a combination. Ebony board. Lone Bart thunderbird passive coil.

This bass gives off strong yet non-muddy low end, some fantastic mids, and with the ebony board, it gives back just enough of the bite I feared this combination might have lacked.

I'm very happy with it.

7. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    Yeah! think i get the right combination, thanks all of you
    let me work hard for the money and i will show you my next step... just contacted aero pickup...

8. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
  9. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Thread resurrection alert!

Warmoth 72 P bass in process with Mahogany body and Wenge neck.

IMG_8266.JPG

Stefmeister likes this.
  10. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Those are my "Wanted Configurations" in a perfect world!!! on paper, they should compliment each other extremely well.. What is that bridge you got on there???

Doner Designs likes this.
  11. Doner Designs

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Babicz Full Contact Hardware (FCH). I have never used any other bridge on a project. Probably the best design on the market and I love the looks too.

iriegnome likes this.
  12. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I just saw one for the first time just the other day.. They are super cool looking.. I am really into individual rail styles right now, but that one on your bass is nice

Doner Designs likes this.
  13. michricker

michricker Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    Tight clear low end with growlly mids. Great recording tone. Clear almost jazz guitar like on upper registers. Have a current mtd 635 with this combo

14. Yup -

Mahogany with wenge neck, nothing but awesome. Mine has a quilted maple top too.

Wilma Two.png

Doner Designs and Baird6869 like this.
  15. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    I've just replaced the humbuckers in my mahogany/wenge bass with a single Seymour Duncan in the Stingray position and it's night and day. Seems to me that the type of wood is a very minor factor.

16. Doner Designs

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Uh oh. Here we go. :)

I have said that from time to time. There is a difference, but I would rank tone influencers something like this:
    - Strings, strings, strings and strings
    - Pickup location
    - Pickup type
    - Neck thru vs bolt on
    - Woods (body and neck)
    - Bridge and nut
    - Finish
    - Color (kidding)
    - Did I mention strings?

I have no idea how valid that is, but since you opened the can of worms I'll take the bait. :)

17. Doner Designs

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Beautiful. Love the matching headstock (on both sides). That is the one thing on mine I would change if I could. I was even thinking of gluing on a small piece of birdseye maple veneer with Doner Designs laser engraved in it.

18. Thanks!

One of the things I love the most about the bass visually is that naturally occurring white area in the very center of the body.

19. gpx1200

gpx1200 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2013
    spencer mass
    I have a fretless with a wenge neck and ebony frettboard but it is on a swamp ash body. I gat the same result as others here have stated lots of strong clear mids and warm lows and the extra highs from the ebony board balance out the highs nicely.
    for me I wish the tone was a bit brighter, if I built another one id use a maple body for extra bite.

20. Doner Designs

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    I think its hard to hear wood tone differences on an electric, but the combination is killer in terms of looks.

IMG_8363-crop.jpg

IMG_8361-crop.jpg

IMG_8366-crop.jpg

IMG_8415.JPG

IMG_8404.JPG

IMG_8408.JPG