Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mahogany body+barts=mud?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tekhna, Jan 14, 2005.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I know people refer to barts as dark, and basses like the Pedulla Rapture with the bart soapbars are solid maple. Any experience here, as both Mahogany and barts are reffered to as dark.

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I had a Warrior Standard Plus 5 fretless that was mahogany body with a mahogany/purpleheart neck. I had a Bart humbucker in the neck and a MM in the bridge, and a 9v NTMB pre.

This bass was definitely not mud. I regularly received comments that it was one of the livest fretless basses people friends had played. Only reason I let it go was that all of my fretted basses are 35" scale and this was a 34" - too much room for poor intonation when switching basses during a set. If it had been 35" (or all my other basses were 34") it would still be in the stable today. :crying:

R

3. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    It probably depends on the individual piece of mahogany, but I have an Ibanez btb 1006e that has a mahogany body (maple/bubinga neck, rosewood fb) and an all-bart setup, and it's not muddy at all. In fact, I have flatwounds on it now, and it's still pretty bright if you can believe it.

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    This and this are a mahogany-bodied fretless w/ Bartolini soapbars. Straight to the computer.

5. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    You can order bright versions of many Barts, they don't have to be dark.

Also if the Rapture uses soft maple like quilt maple that's a much warmer wood than hard maple and would compare more closely to alder or mahogany than hard maple. So you can still get a bright bass with Barts and mahogany.