mahogany body+ maple top

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mvw356, Mar 20, 2006.

1. mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    i was wondering what that wood combination sounds like? i guess i'm refering to a les paul bass. i like their look, but honestly have no idea what they sound like. and i don't know of any shop around where i live that sells any gibson bass. for guitars this wood combination seems to be a very popular choice, why not for bass?

thanks for your help
  2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    My Ibanez SR-1206 has a mahogany body and maple top, alone with neck-through construction. I'm not sure how much I can separate the wood choices and the construction, but it seems to have a "naturally EQed" sound to it. Not too low, not too bright, you get the idea.

I've since moved passed it tonally to the more-classic J-bass bolt-on tone (mid-hump, alder or swamp ash) but appreciate the tone of the six when chording and tapping. It certainly suits those roles well.
  3. instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i honestly find that the only characteristic of a wood affecting a bass is its density. the species really sdoesn't make a huge difference, since you can have less dense or significantly more dense pieces ofthe same wood.

think about it, the strings' vibrations are controlled mainly by the rate at which the waves can travel through the instrument. the denser the body, the stronger/ more prnounced these vibrations, and the more sustain and clear the tone.