Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mahogany body with flamed koa top or Quilted maple top?????????????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KINGPIN_88, Mar 31, 2014.

1. KINGPIN_88

KINGPIN_88

Mar 20, 2014
    Hey Y'all

I am in the process of building a bass and i have a question whether I should my core wood is mahogany (African) and I am wondering if I should pair it up with a quilted maple top or a flamed koa top. What would be the tonal differences. The neck is going to be a wenge ebony neck. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Not gonna enter the fray about the "tonal differences" but fwiw I've found that I personally tend to gravitate towards basses with similarly hued woods when there's just a single top laminate, but contrastingly hued woods when there's both a top and back laminate.

iow, if you're just doing a top laminate on a solid mahogany body, I would prefer the darker koa because the two shades would blend well together. Conversely, if you were doing both a top and a back laminate I think the light/dark/light contrast of flamed maple against mahogany would be more attractive than the almost uniform brown of koa/mahogany/koa.

Then again, if your body has any elbow cuts that provide a reveal to the core wood, all bets are off. Use what you like. :)

3. Register_To_Disable

4. KINGPIN_88

KINGPIN_88

Mar 20, 2014
    I got you I think I will stick with the mahogany and koa then