1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mahogany body??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by withdevil, Mar 26, 2006.

1. withdevil

withdevil

Apr 23, 2005
    Dallas,TX
    Hello,
    Are most people play nice with alder/maple bolt on??

huat is missing about mahogany and set neck..

Thanks

2. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Damn right.

3. Let's see if I can translate this..."Are most people happy with an alder/maple bolt on? And what is missing about a mahogany and set neck?"

Is that what you meant?

4. I've found all-mahogany instruments to be a bit too "middy" and indistinct, but paired with a harder wood such as maple can be a great "naturally EQ-ed" combo. That's what I've found with my Ibanez six-string.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
  6. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    i played a bolt on, alder/maple epiphone thunderbird once. I thought it was great.

i dont think having a mahoganny neck on the thunderbird will help the neckdive at all

7. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    My Nordie has a mahogany body and a maple neck (bolt on). The sound is warm and a bit punchy.... my favorite.

BTW... what the heck ARE you asking?

8. gfried84

gfried84 Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
  9. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    All mahogany, neck and wings, ebony f/b.
    1994(?) Carvin LB75.

Very punchy! It is very easy to get the sounds I want with finger placement and pressure. Outstanding! Very warm, but very punchy.

10. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Set necks are more of a guitar thing (think Les Paul). Sorry other than Gibsons and Epis, I'm not up on the current trends in set necks on Basses :meh:

- Ugly.

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Or Foderas...

12. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana

or Alembic.

13. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Mmmm... Good stuff!

- Ugly.

14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Mahogany is a great body material provided it's laminated with a harder wood like Maple. A great example is the 25th anniversary Sadowskys and some of the MTD's. As far as necks, even in guitar necks, it tends to be flexible and doesn't stay in tune as well. And a set mahogany neck with neck dive would be asking for a cracked headstock. Maple or Wenge are better neck materials IMHO.

15. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Does anyone know the difference between regular mahogany and Utile mahogany? My Status has an Utile mahogany body and the wood itself looks kind of like a cross between ash and mahogany, i.e. it has the fine grain of mahogany but also has a few stripes mixed in. It's still kind of a mystery wood to me.

16. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i think we're once again over emphasizing the wood's influence.

ur telling me 1/4-3/8 of an inch of maple will make mahogany go from ehh... to GREAT. i think its the build and construction quality. and style. ste neck vs bolt on vs thru is probably more influential than the actual body wood.