1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mahogany Body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bobby King, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I have the opportunity to buy (for pretty cheap) a Fender-shaped mahogany body with EMG PJs. What are your opinions about mahogany as a body wood and what are the tonal characteristics?

Thanks in advavnce!

2. really deep and warm tone

think of Vic wooten, it's what he is using, mahogany body with PJ

3. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    +1

4. Ganja

Ganja

Jan 18, 2008
    Muncie, IN
    Buy it.

5. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Never played a mahogany bass that I've liked. Always found it too dark and muddy. Thats not to say it can't sound nice though, I just haven't experienced it in any that I've played.

I think that in a Fender style bass with EMGs it might be nice, might serve to tame the brightness of the EMGs a bit. If the price is right, it might be worth taking a chance on.

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I have a J bass with a mahagony body and 62 RI pickups that has very crisp highs.

It's also very heavy.

7. EnderZ13

EnderZ13

Feb 19, 2007
    Utopia, Jersey
    All mahogany LOVE IT:
    GibsonSG.

8. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I love the tone of Mahogany, chambered Mahogany P/J's are my favorite tone/body wood & shape. Mine have Maple tops however.

George

9. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Great warmth and with a maple bolt on neck you get great treble and punch. In my opinion one of the best bass wood combinations, ask Alembic & other custom bass makers that use mahogany as a core wood.

The down side is mahogany is pretty heavy. It will end up being at least a 10 pound + bass.

10. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Nothin wrong with mahogany. It's slightly lighter than alder, a bit lighter than ash. I had a mahogany Carvin for a long time.

11. cloren

cloren

Nov 15, 2007
    san francisco
    im a huge fan of the tone on the fender sig victor bailey bass- which has a mahogany body. a lot of high end zon and Fodera basses utilize a mahogany body as well (they usually cap it with a laminate top). id say go for it man

12. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks for the input folks!