Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Nuno A., Oct 3, 2002.

1. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    Hello there.
    Recently i read that there were some basses with mahogany fingerboards and actually some owners of these basses were saying that it was the real thing, way better than was the 1st time i heard about it to be honest...does somebody got any idea about this???
    Price , sound???
    Hello Jeff...
    Hello Arnold....

thanks in advance.

2. I've seen ukuleles, dulcimers, maybe cheap guitars with mahogany fingerboards, but not a string bass.
    Although the word mahogany represents several different species, all of them are "soft" hardwoods and I don't think it would make a suitable fingerboard at all.
  3. I've seen a few mahogany fingerboards on basses over the years and I would rate them slightly better than a maple fingerboard. They are definately not superior to ebony or even rosewood for that matter.
  4. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    I agree with Bob. I have however run into more that one bassist who prefers the tone and feel of a {soft] hardwood. I think they were oxymorons!
  5. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    Mahogany is WAY TOO SOFT! It's not much harder that pine. Calssical Guitars made with mahogany sides and back don't have as bright a voice as ones make of rose wood. Same can be said for steel string guitars. I know I own both kinds. And mahogany would be too soft for fingerboards on anything.

IMO the harder the fingerboard the better the instrument sounds because soft wood is flexable, which requires more energy to get the same amount of vibration going. You can test this out by tapping on diffrent kinds of soft and hard wood see which ones go thunk and which ones go ping.