Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mahogany good for fretless?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dooft11, Jul 5, 2005.

1. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    dear all i am planning for my own project bass, what is your opinion on Mahogany body and wenge neck ebony fingler board for fretless 5?
    i may use aguilar pre.
    please throw me with some advise thanks alot

2. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Mahogany is a beautiful wood to look at and to work with. Wenge can be a bit of a pain because it's so hard but a bit of patience solves that problem.

As for tone, I refuse to go there so I'll leave it to someone else to deal with.

-Nate

3. Either a bad case of the heebie jeebies and deja vou, or I just answered this in the "Basses" forum too... lol :p

I think that you're going to get a similar tone to a 'Wick 'Vette with that combo, and that is very "mwah" in my book. I wouldn't change your choices, not one bit. I'm 100% positive that if I built a bass, I would have indentical wood as you're talking about.

I'd say, go for it!

~Ryan.

4. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    Sounds like a good combo to me, but I'm not an expert. I believe that's the combo Warwick uses on at least one model.
    By the way, your icon made me laugh.

5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
  6. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    That is almost exactly the wood combo of my old Acacia fretless 4-string:
    - The neck is laminated of nine pieces of wood; from center to edge these are Mahogany, Maple, Rosewood, Maple and Wenge.
    - The body is laminated of five pieces of wood: the core is Mahogany, the top is Lacewood, and there is a thin piece of Rosewood between the core and the top.
    - The fingerboard is Gaboon Ebony, and it has Maple fretlines and Rosewood dots.

I love the sound in that bass. It is deep and full, sounds great in almost any band setting. Not so much "mwah" as other fretless basses I've tried, though. Great sustain, more of a subtle blossoming of the sound, not so bright as a Maple neck fretless (an old Ibanez Roadster with bolt-on Maple neck and Mahogany body had more "mwah" but shorter sustain).
    Wenge feels great under the fretting hand thumb. The Ebony fingerboard feels great, too.

7. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    dear zebra.. this is kind of a lovely icon right.. hahahahha
    a very alert warmoth body...hahha.. i did it in the Paint program...thanks for your appreciation..ahhaha

8. My Cort has that same combo without the ebony board, and it sounds great, kinda like a warm growl, with a ton of mhuaw. Looks pretty sharp too!