Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mahogany Ibanez?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ilikethebass, Feb 9, 2005.

1. ilikethebass

ilikethebass

Feb 3, 2005
    Detroit
    I bought my Ibanez SR1015 about 4 years ago, and in these years, I havent found a single review, and only 1 picture. Its an amazing oil finished mahogany body, and 5 piece wenge and bubinga neck. I dont know what the fretboard is, but its a lighter wood than rosewood. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this beautiful instrument, or knows where I could find some info. I believe it was made in '98, though I forget how I came across this information... Thank you all.

peace.

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I have an ad featuring Gerald Veasly playing a 1015 in the April '97 issue of Bass Player (Jason Newsted on the cover) for both the SR's 1010/5 and 5000. The ad copy reads:

"Like the SR5000, the SR1010 features the warmth and great sustain of a mahogany body; however, the 1010 is curved on the top only for those who prefer a flatter back (Ian's note - opposed to the 5000, which is radiused like a Spector or the newer SR-905's). As with the SR5000, the SR1010 neck is crafted of five oieces of bubinga and wenge for greater stability, and strength. The SR1010 is available in four and five-string models, as well as a six string version for those desiring additional range at both ends of the spectrum.

So yeah, the ad doesnt add to much of what you already know. I believe the fingerboard is wedge, as was most of the higher-end Ibanez basses from that time period. It's a shame - the mid-to-late 90's upper end Ibanez basses (the 12-1300's, 1010/1015, 2000, 5000, etc.) were some amazing basses that simply were swept away from the the vintage-seeking public eye in that post-grunge era. The decent side is that they are fairly reasonable on the used market because of this. ;)

PS - you might want to consider changing your subject to specifically mention the model, as Ibanez has now made mahogany bodied basses as low as the 400's. It might bring the thread a bit more attention and therefore information.

3. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
  4. I myself have owned a SR1000 for the last six or seven years now and heve also found little to no information or reviews on it.
    I believe it to be similar to your SR1010, as I found in those catalogs (great link! thanks!), except the SR1000 has gold hardware.
    I did find out though it's from the Professional series, a series I don't think lasted any longer than 1997 alone.
    Anyway, it's a wonderful bass, very sturdy, great active electronics giving flexible tone and it looks the part.

EZ

5. ilikethebass

ilikethebass

Feb 3, 2005
    Detroit
    thanks for the link, mucha apprecia

6. artitrol

artitrol

Jan 15, 2005
    Sarasota
    the wood of fingerboard maybe wenge too... like a sr3000...