Mahogany/Korina Jazzbasses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Jun 10, 2002.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How would a jazzbass sound if you shanged the bodywood to mahogany or korina?

This is what caught my atention on Warmoth´s site:
    White Korina is a medium to heavy weight wood. The tone is very similar to Mahogany. It features a light yellow/green color which looks great with a yellow tinted finish. This is a great wood for bass guitars. Korina has a naturally waxy feel to it. Oil finished work well on this wood.
  2. Since mahogany, swamp ash, and alder are widely available to luthiers and manufacturers, I would think there's a reason--tone-- they don't use mahogany for bolt-on jazz style basses and reserve it for guitars, usually set neck like PRS, Gibson solidbodies, etc. Gibson does use mahogany for some of their basses. But that is way different than a jazz bass.
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im pretty sure both Ken Smith and Alembic use a lot of mahogany on their basses.

And Ive played a Gibson with Mahogany and it sounds great.

Im pretty sure my Tacoma acoustic has mahogany back and sides.

Ive played a few mahogany basses actually. They all had a beautiful sound.

Thats why I chose its as the core wood on the bass I building.

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    That Korina caught my eye, too! I had a Korina guitar not too long ago, and that was the best guitar I have ever played! The weight was incredibly light, much more so than my SG, and it had the most beautiful sound! Very even and smooth, much like mahogany, but also a little on the brighter side. When I finally decide to get my 6er built, I'm be going with Korina.
    Oh, BTW, this guitar did have an antique yellow finish, which made the wood look a BEAUTIFUL gold, with a Purpleheart stringer down the middle of the neck.
    I miss that one.:(
  5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Isn't Victor Bailey's Pensa-Shur Jazz a mohagany body?