Maiden Voyage for Nnick's Baby

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by arnoldschnitzer, Oct 21, 2005.

1. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    BLABLA had its first ever meeting/feast/drunkfest this past Monday and Tuesday. What the heck is BLABLA? The Brotherhood of Loosely Associated Bass Luthiers of America. Nnick Lloyd dreamed this thing up at the '03 ISB convention, and he somehow recently convinced the McIntosh family of Cambridge, NY to host the powwow. Check out the attendees, folks: Me, Jeff Bollbach, Robert McIntosh, Nnick, Andy Stetson, Chris Roberts, Bill Lakeberg, Tom Barrett, Mark Leue, Zachary Martin, Jay VandeKopple, and Jed Kriegel (my most skillful assistant). A great time was had by all, and I'd like to thank Nnick for his persistence in getting this off the ground; and Robbie and Bliss McIntosh for their limitless hospitality. TB'ers, I have to say this: I don't think there has ever been such a high-powered assembly of talented luthiers who have gotten together to raise the bar concerning bass construction and repair. Not violins, not guitars, not mandolins, just our beloved doghouse!
  2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I just have to ask and I know it will raise more than a few 'brows.. Where was Kolstein? :D

Biase and Gage do good work in NY but they might be too busy to get away. Many people like the work of Merchant and Traeger.. Did I say the 'T' word?.. oops.. and then there is Shank in PA..I am sure I left a few names out that I can't remember. I was just curious if this private club admitts or omitts any of the above mentioned for whatever reasons..

Ok, sling you mud this way. :spit: .. I can take it. :ninja: BTW, I dabbled in the 'loose Bass Luthiery' thing in my early days. Now I just 'conduct' the DB work and get others to do my dirty :smug:
    My EB business is another thing so I wont bother to mention it further. I just love the hang and checking out interesting Basses wether playable or not..
  3. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny

Since I started my own business around 9 years ago I have been actively reaching out to other luthiers in the spirit of learning and comraderie. It's worked out beyond my expectations. One of my first contacts was your boy Arnold and he and I have shared much resource, info, and friendship over the years. Many others have followed like our own Nnick who really understands the value of this vibe. There are many other "young lions" who can benefit from relationships with us "older farts". and vice versa of course! Now BLABLA is certainly not an exclusive club but there are those out there who clearly do not share the same values. A person such as this would not likely be asked twice to partake in the spirit nor would they want to be associated with such an obviously motley crew.
  4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Ken, methinks you try to stir up trouble in bassland! If you persist, I will have no alternative than to install a Wolf-tone bass destructo device in your Martini. And another thing--learn how to use your spell-check... ;)
  5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

It warms my heart, it does. :)
  6. Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    I too am a huge proponent of sharing between artisans. I can't express enough how my participation in a few conventions held by other guitar luthiers has been helpful in my practice.

Competition is irrelevant or at least to be disregarded when it comes to the mutual sharing of experience and ideas collectively centered on improving the profession as a whole.

I know in my time conversing with Nnick he has suggested several things that have improved my work. I appreciate any tips and concepts people levy that could make my job better or easier. My conversations with him point out that cross pollination between artisans involved with different instruments has value as well. Double Bass luthiers have different process ideas and tools than guitar luthiers yet both skill sets have a great deal of overlap. Even more so when it comes to business models and business planning.

In my book dialog is always a good thing.
  7. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I didn't know TB had 'spell check'. PLEASE...Tell me where it is and how to use it. In the past with long posts I used 'word' and then pasted it in TB. When doing something short, I just do as I am now.. Sorry for the Typos.. I don't play keyboard!

As far as stirring up trouble, you MUST know it was mostly a Joke. If I find a single Wolf or any other animal in my Martini, I will never Drink at your place again. And make sure you get that Beverage license renewed!!
  8. BLABLA #2.....
    Well just back from Cincinnati after 5 days [2 days of seminars / discussions / etc ] and I had a Blast !!!!
    Nicks baby was a hugh success this year because
    the host city has 2 major shops... Nicks and co-hosts Andy Stetson,Chris Roberts , and Bill Lakeberg - the boys at the Cincinnati Bass Cellar.
    There was 14 of us and we covered a variety of subjects including Rib repairs, Punch hole repairs, Re-Arching and plaster cast molds, Repairs without taking the top off, Varnish, Set-up, and various jigs.
    In addition to Nick and the Cellar boys we had Mark Sonksen, Tom Barrett, Dustin Williams, Jack Phelps, Zac Martin, Jed Kriegel, Daniel Hachez, Jay VandeKopple, and Robbie MacIntosh.
    It was an amazing experience for me as most of these guys make basses , so I had a first hand look at the whole process... so cool to be able shoot ideas around the room and pick a persons brain about different techniques and process's, I was just floored at all this talent.
    If you live near Cinci you owe it to yourself to visit either Nick or the boys at the Bass Cellar because not only is it a Hot-bed of bass making , but the quality of the repair and restoration work is second to none.
    Many thanks to all my new friends....:D