Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Main diff between Squire and Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Aug 14, 2000.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What is the main difference in the basses? I would like to know because, I don't want to wast money if they are nearly the same quality. (I'm cheap)

In particular, the Five strings...

2. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    i must say, there is some difference, i only own a squier though, not a fender, but i would like to own a fender soon, anyway, one of the differences i know of is that the squiers are manufactured in korea, it says it on the back of the headstock, i dont know where the fenders are made, id assume USA but thats just a guess. They both have fender strings though, and my squier sounds good, but im sure a more expensive fender would be worth the extra money, that is if you have the extra money to throw around. more or less, squier is made by fender, its part of the fender family, but a 500 hundred dollar fender standard p bass probably sounds better than my 230 dollar (i got it on sale for 180) standard precision bass. im happy with my choice in squier though, its definetly a quality bass and has given me no trouble at all, i have heard people refer to the squiers as good substitute basses or back up basses. the squier bodys are also made out of hardwood, where the fenders are made out of poplar. the squier necks are maple and the fretboards are rosewood, i dont know about the fenders.

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Q: It isn't true that Squiers are made in Korea... Some are made in Mexico.. well most of them at least.. I have a Squier and it was made in Mexico.. In my opinion.. Mexico makes the worst ones.. I think... like here is the list

Ranks
    1) Made in America
    2) Made in Japan
    3) Made in Korea
    4) Made in Mexico

but thats just me.. and you shouldn't get a Fender based 5 strings.. From what I hear from LOTS of people.. Fender makes really bad 5 strings.(B String at least).. If a Fender, stick with a 4 string.. Now a days, the Fender MIM(Made in Mexico) basses aren't bad at all.. Becaues the parts are made in America, just the construction part is done in Mexico.. but it still sounds cool :) Its all up to you, thats just my 2 cents

DM

4. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    oh, my squier was made in korea, if you decide to get a squier, i guess you should get a korean one then, i like it

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Brendan: if you are going to get a Squier.. I would just save a little more money and go for the Fender MIM... It would be amuch better deal for a much better bass :) Just my 2 cents

DM

6. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    from what I heard .. Made in Japan basses are really nice.. some i heard are better than Made in America.. o_O

DM

7. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    OK guys, a lot of misinformation here. The current Squiers are made in Indonesia and China. In general, Indonesia for the US market and China for everywhere else tho that's not a hard and fast rule. Fenders are made in Mexico and the US and a couple models (Geddy Lee and Marcus Miller) still made in Japan. The differences are tuff to put into words. Sort of like saying what's the difference in Geo, Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, Olds and Cadillac. They're all General Motors cars, any of them will get you to work and back. If at all possible you need to go play them and see what you think and hear for yourself. I own a Geddy Lee Jazz, a Squier Stratocaster and an MIM Telecaster. I think they are all fine instruments, YMMV. That being said I would love to own a Pedulla someday. You know, I love my Camaro but would like a Corvette! :D

8. ive seen a few good squiers, but most are real bad, i would save a little more money and get the MIM fender, i have one, and it is real good, they are MUCH better, and are real easy to upgrade the parts.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

While I'm NOT a big fan of Fender 5 strings, I've heard rave reviews of the Squier 5 string. I haven't yet played one(can't seem to find one!), but I've heard that for the price they are a good deal.

The MIM 5s I have played, and though not the worst B string around, they are in the lower 1/2(IMHO).

As to the USA models, the Roscoe Beck 5 is a killer bass, nice tight B string and great variety of tones from the humbucker pickups. If the neck profile wasn't so huge, I'd probably own one right now. I don't feel near as enthusiastic about the Bs on the other USA models, they're tighter than the MIMs, but not much.

Regarding the MIJ Fenders, they rock! I have a Geddy Lee model that kicks @$$, and if Fender had a MIJ 5 I would look into that, but unfortunately, they do not :(

Fender makes the industry standard 4 strings, and as long as you inspect them closely, the MIM, MIJ and MIA P bass and J bass 4 strings are competitive with anything their respective price ranges, but the 5's, IMHO, are not.

[Edited by embellisher on 08-14-2000 at 06:47 PM]

10. i played the squier 5 string "p" bass, they call it a p cause it has the big bulky p neck, and the p pickguard, but it has 2 j style pickups. The b is way too floppy, but it was the GC, so it might have had the badsetupitis. The neck was real big, very uncomfertable, i had to put it down fast, cause i really disliked it. Played a nice maple necked natural jazz bass, all it needed were the black inpays to complete the retro look, it played real nice too.

11. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Yup, lotsa misinformation here, thanks for clearing some of it up, MJB.

Squier used to be manufactured in Mexico and even the US for a brief period, but now all Squier operations are in Indonesia.

The Mexican factory makes the Fender Standard series, and I'd strongly recommend a MIM Fender 5 string...I even ordered mine through the mail (oh the humanity!) and it came with the best set up job I've ever seen on a new bass. (I got the MIM Deluxe 5 string)...

I like Squier basses, but I haven't played the 5 string yet. FWIW, I LOVE Squier guitars, I think they're the best budget line of 6 stringers anywhere. The basses are okay, no J model available, but I'd spring the $350 or so it would take to get a MIM Jazz 5 if that's what you'd like.

-GM

12. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I think the Fender MIM basses are the best value for the money that you can get.And they are very upgradable.
    At that price point you can't beat them.MIA's are twice the price but not twice the value.

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Whoa...lotsa information conflicts between people and in the same sentence! DarMazda, you HATE mexico fender/squiers, but then you are suggesting the MIM Jazz? Wha?! And the made in Japan one are probably of better quality. But thats opinion.

Ive played a Squier 5...the B moved a ton of air!...in a bad way. FLOPPY! Youd be best to go with a Fender, as they ARE better quality (wood choice, construction, and has more/better shielding), and the B is a bit tighter.

If you want to know a huge difference between Squier and Fender...its resale value. Fender has great resale value...Squier drop like 50% as soon as you leave the store!

14. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    MegaAngus: I hate MIM SQUIERS.. never said Fender.. I've never owned a Fender so i wouldn't know.... Squier... now thats a bass I have.. which I don't really like at all.. :)

DM

15. Bruce Ridinger

Bruce Ridinger

Dec 18, 1999
    The Fender bass differences I can understand are as follows: #1, the unit cost of labor in the respective countries of origin; #2, the marginal cost of materials; and #3, craftsmanship and quality controls in the country of origin.

A Fender P or J bass is made to standard company specs, regardless of which country produces it. They are usually setup for play in the USA as well, including a secondary quality check of the finished product before shipment to retailers.

Various components all over a bass guitar, such as the tuners, the PU's, bridge etc., have marginal (slight to significant) cost increases as quality climbs. Often the differences seem subtle at first glance (or even after a hard look), but they are understood once you have played the instrument a while and your playing skills improve. The nuances of getting a bass that is comfortable to play and that meets performance needs is a little more involved than other instruments I have played.

The differences in Fender bass costs are a good thing. It enables many folks to start playing a bass at a relatively modest price to see if they like it. In the past, that prohibited many from even trying to play bass due to high startup rig costs. We have the best choices ever for playing bass now, thanks to a world-wide market place.

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Blahblahblah Wahwahwah. :D

17. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    BHAHAHAHAMUHAHAHHABWHAHAHADHAHAHAYAHAYAHAYAHAHDHAYDHADYAHDAYDAYBYABHAYB!!!!!!!! :)

18. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    Ive got a MIM fender standard jazz, its very good for the money.

id say try and get a fender MIM used off ebay or something. i dont like squires, ive played one at school that keeps going out of tune

19. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Talk about a blast from the past! Great to see that threads from 2000 are still available using search. :)

20. thumpybones

thumpybones

May 22, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    No disrespect intended, but if you can't tell the difference, buy the cheaper one. I own two five string Fender jazzes, a Roscoe Beck and a QMT (quilted maple top). I love em both and I've done the boutique thing (Smith, Fodera).