Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

main difference between geddy lee j b and original j b

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arnegp, Jul 13, 2004.

1. arnegp

arnegp

Jul 10, 2004
    i just wonder whats the biggest difference between the geddy lee
    jazz bass from fender and the 'real' jazz bass?
    i think everyone is recommending the geddy lee model, so i just
    want to know why its so much better that the jazz bass?

2. afaik, the Geddy Lee should be a simple "pawn shop bought for 150 usd" '75 Fender Jazz bass. It has the Badass bridge and the fretboard radius has been brought at around 10" radius, vs the original 7,5 but that should be all; cosmethically you have to add block inlays and neck binding; both black on the Geddy Lee but pearloid on most '75 standard Js.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The neck is much slimmer than the normal J's, it has a bound neck with block inlays, a bit lighter in the body, Badass II bridge. The neck also has a gloss finish on it. The pickups are the same that are in the MIA jazz bass. The thing that makes it SO much better is that the quality is just as good, if not BETTER construction-wise than an MIA Jazz with a much better bridge and the same electronics for a significantly smaller price. Toss a pair of DiMarzio J pickups in there and you've got a stellar bass for less than $1000 Canadian.