Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Main differences in Ibanez BTB series.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kogo, May 26, 2001.

1. kogo

kogo

May 26, 2001
    I'm a bass beginner looking for a nice 5 string, which I should never have to upgrade. I see that the Ibanez BTB 405 is about half the price of the BTB 1005. The 505 is somewhere in between. What are the main differences between these models?

2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but someone told me the 1005 was produced in Japan instead of Korea. Hence the difference.

By the way, the BTB's kick SR-ass!

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    For info, check out Ibanez's Japanise site at www.ibanez.co.jp - much better than US site.

4. IlLu50rY

IlLu50rY

Jan 15, 2000
    I think i have a BTB 5005 (is there anyway to know the model in the series)
    This is cos it has a locking lead input where you have to push a button to let it out.
    Man sg's suck my freind has one(5 string) and the strings are floppy as and too close together to properlly slap. I think their desinged for maybe pick players and heavy metal players (as a lot of bands that use one are).

5. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    The BTB is the only Ibanez bass since the ATK that I have actually wanted. I think I'm going to get the 515 in a little while.

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Actually IILu50rY, all BTBs have Neutrik Locking Jacks.

Here:

BTB40X- Alder body with thin Quilted Maple top. A lot of people say its Basswood, but it sounds like Alder to me! If it is Basswood, I don't care, because it sounds pretty good! The neck is also symmetrical on this model. Body is gloss finished, truss rod cover is plastic.

BTB50X- Solid ash body withwax (oil and wax maybe?) finish, stripped ebony truss rod cover, thinner asymmetrical neck. Available in Fretless.

BTB515- Not sure.

BTB100X- Mahogany body core, flamed maple top and back, stripped ebony truss cover, thinner asymmetrical neck. Available in fretless.

X= 0 (4 string), 5, 6.

However, they all sound nearly the same, and I have big hands, so the bigger neck doesn't bother me, so I bought the BTB405. Can't go wrong for $550.

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    BTB-515 is otherwise similar to BTB-400 except for mahogany body and 5-piece maple/bubinga neck.

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    They all have 5 piece necks. I believe it's walnut, too. It's darker than Bubinga (unless it's a different type than I've seen on Warwicks, Hanewinckels, etc), and I know I've seen "5 piece maple/walnut neck". They use Bubinga in the guitars...at least, they used to. I'm not sure if they still do.

9. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Angus, 400-series has maple-walnut necks and basswood-ash-quilted maple bodies, where 500-series has maple-bubinga necks and mahogany(510s) or ash(500s)-bodies.

Difference with 500s to higher series is body wood: 700s have maple bodies with ovangol cap, and on the 1k series the body is mahogany with maple cap.

Oddly, all models seem to have same hardware and electronics.

Atleast that is what Ibanez Japan says.

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Well, my 400 sure doesn't have any ash on it, and the body is FAR to figured to be basswood, but its not so figured that it doesn't look like alder.

Yeah, they all have the same electronics, which is probably why they all sound the same, more or less. I'm sure with high quality pickups they would sound different...but they don't. Pretty good preamp, though.

11. Is the 406 worth the money?