1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Main differences on p-bass and jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tyggis, Mar 14, 2008.

1. tyggis

tyggis

Mar 11, 2008
    What is the main differences and most important differences between the Fender precision and the Fender jazz bass?
    And why do you use the one or the other?

2. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    P bass gives you that old school Motown thump, Jazz bass gives more midrange (often referred to as growl). P bass ahs one pickup near the neck. jazz bass has two one loeer near the bridge, this make the Jazz much more versatile tone wise. Jazz has a slimmer neck with closer spacing between the strings at the low end.

Why use one or the other? Depends on the sound you're looking for and what neck profile you're comfortable with. The Pbass tends to sit lower in the mix than the jazz, but that's partly a function of how the player EQs and their stylistic approach.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    - They sound totally different.

- They are shaped differently.

- They have different dimensions and thicknesses of necks.

4. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
  5. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    For the first question, go to www.fender.com,

For the second question, I use a P-Bass when I play Motown and Punk, and a Jazz for everything else.

Hey, what's the main difference between gouda cheese made in Holland, and gouda cheese made in Denmark?

6. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
  7. Kennethfaria

Kennethfaria Banned

Mar 12, 2008
    haha!

8. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Well, one goes BUH NUH NUH NUH NUH NUH NUH NUH...

And the other goes Bum ba dum bum bum boom ba doo do da doop.

In reality one could do what the other does with enough tweaking, EQing, preamping, effects saturating, blah blah blah, but one makes a certain sound more easily than the other. IMHO jazz pups are generally smoother and a bit more open for tweaking of tones. P pups seem more midrange growly to me, also a little narrower in its range of tones. All this is just my opinion and personal experience with each, however.

9. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    *POOF* and then he was gone!:smug:

10. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

The main difference will be revealed if you use the search function.

11. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Hey, this is guy violating TB policies!

In his signature, he's got a link to a commercial site that looks funny: it has links to Ebay auctions (which look like other people's legit auctions).

Looks likes some kind of Phishing, or extreme naiveness.

12. Whats the diff? The look, the feel, and the sound. nothing more.

13. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Also the pickups, and the controls, and the shape...

BUT the most important difference: a Jazz won't sit straight on an A-frame stand; a Precision will.

14. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    tyggis: looks like you sell the part so you should be telling us....

Lefty 007 is right - please remove that link from your signature....

15. tyggis

tyggis

Mar 11, 2008
    People, its maybe easy to make critic to someone you dont know. lefty007, please show me where I am breaking the TOS for this forum, as everyone else I am allowed to have one link in my sig.
    Understand that I have never owned a Fender bass. I have owned a Warwick streamer stage 2 for 15 years. I am buying an early `60 P-bass as we speak, because I believe that I can like the sound better. But I would still love to really know the difference between the two models from someone that have very good knowledge of the models. Thats why I ask why you chose the one before the other. And I got some good answers too. Thanks to the non trolls Marcury and Mjolnir and a few others:)

16. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL

Rule #7, and I partially quote,

" ...Non-Supporting Members must also refrain from posting 'for sale' ads or links to ads in their profile signatures. Posting links to personal ebay auctions is not allowed for any members, in posts, signatures, or elsewhere..." You are not a contributing member, therefore, no commercial signature allowed.

But actually, I'm not a moderator, so it's not my business to tell what you can or can't do. I just find funny that you are asking the most asked question in the history of this and all bass forums (which can be taken as either a joke, or a troll) but you have a page that has Fender P and J parts for sale.

17. tyggis

tyggis

Mar 11, 2008
    I am not breaking that Rule #7.

lefty007, please read this rules again:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=signature&match=all&titlesonly=0

And please try to understand what this means:
    "-Commercial users may include a single link to their business in their signature. This link must be non-formatted (not bold, colored, or enlarged). Sales information, product advertisments, pricing information, or other 'sales pitch' is not allowed in signatures."

I understand that you find what you mention funny, but next time its better to ask before judging people.

18. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    But you're not a commercial user. You're a "registered user"...look underneath your user name.

It is "curious" why you would be willing to spend thousands of dollars on a vintage bass and not know the difference between one or the other. I don't care if you own your own oil company, everyone should have a working knowledge of what they're buying before spending that kind of money on it. But who am I to judge....
    There are literally MILLIONS of threads, articles, books, magazines, etc. covering this topic for over the last 50 years so you might have to do it the old-fashioned way and use a search function or go to a library or something. Why waste the bandwidth?

19. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Do you understand what "commercial" and "non-supporting" means. Obviously no. :rolleyes: Whatever. Again, I'm not a moderator, so do as you will.

20. troooolllll....