Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Maine passes anti-war resolution

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JMX, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/0205-04.htm

http://www.pressherald.com/news/statehouse/030205resolution.shtml

2. WHOA!!!

Go Maine. I always thought it was a pretty cool state... :D

3. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Sounds like it's time to give Maine back to Canada:bag:

4. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    With all this talk about reinstating the draft, Canada really might get some "visitors" from the U.S. ;)

5. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Very impressive. I wonder how long it will take before someone accuses them of being pro-Saddam.

6. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    No problem.

We wouldn't want them to get those frilly little sundresses their wearing all mussed up.

*Sigh* Some people won't believe it until Saddam personally stuffs a canister of VX gas up their butt.

And perhaps not even then...

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    didn't substantial sections of iraq pass anti-saddam resolutions? you know, before all their inhabitants "disappeared" and their villages were destroyed?

8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Why doesn't the U.S. Constitution put the power to wage war in the hands of State governments?

There's your answer.

BTW.

Senators Collins and Snow from Maine both voted for HJres114 Use of Military Force in Iraq.

Reps. Baldacci and Allen were nay votes in the HR.

9. It's funny to see all these state and municipal governments (Ithaca is a particularly egregious offender) spending taxpayer money and wasting time legislative meetings with these resolutions that serve only as masturbatory demonstrations of Virtue, while their roads crumble and schools collapse.

10. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I believe so -- that was right before Saddam hit them with that nerve gas no one has proven he has.

11. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    seattle
    Yeah, state governments are much too rational to make these decisions.

12. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Word.

13. JizzDogg

JizzDogg

Nov 4, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Then it wouldn't be the United States of America, would it?

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

All of what talk??? One loopy Democrat from NY - Rangels??? And his motive is actually - anti-draft. It's meant to be a paradox with racial motives.

You might be interested to know that the Bush family home is in Kennebunkport, MAINE. I've seen it - it juts out on a bunch of rocks into the ocean.....very accessible.

See how meaningless this selectively, skewed, crap is??? :confused:

15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Ann Arbor, Mich. is opposed to the war too. I guess the troops are gonna come home now, 'cause if Ann Arbor is opposed...There goes the rest of the country!:D

16. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    This was merely a tongue-in-cheek reply to rayzak's post that I perceived to be tongue-in-cheek also. I thought that was obvious, I added the smiley to make sure, though. It obviously wasn't obvious enough. ;) !

17. Hm, I've been too busy to read the paper recently; I hadn't heard about that. Doesn't surprise me though...As it turns out, we're the 23rd American city to pass such a resolution.

http://nc.indymedia.org/news/2002/12/1588_comment.php

Hey wait, Detroit is on that list too! You joined us, P. Aaron!

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I didn't give them permission!

19. :D

BTW, I just noticed that link and the resolution it's talking about are from early December (another story). Were you referring to the AA City Council resolution or the protests a few days ago (that I wasn't even aware of until now because my head is stuck so far in the books :p )?

20. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    More likely, it was understood that it was the State Govt. responsibility to look out for states' interests, whereas the Federal Govt covered NATIONAL interests.

State Reps are not sent to the state capitol based on their position on federal issues...only state and local issues (school taxes, road repair, selling alcohol on Sundays).

Predictably, a different ideological profile is more suited for each body - folks vote different ways in each case very often.

Doing things in the best interest of the country may conflict with the interests of the state. If pollution in the US is a problem and the only answer is to go to hydrogen powered cars, we can't let Michigan and Ohio block that just because it's going to cost jobs in those states...it's for the good of the country. Similar thought process went into the system for electing a president.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.