1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MainStage 2 pivotal in your bass rig?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by thiocyclist, Jan 23, 2013.

1. thiocyclist

thiocyclist

Sep 19, 2012
    I have been fiddling around with MainStage 2 and really don't see how it's all that great for a bass player, but I hear vague descriptions of people using it and loving it for bass all the time. Searching this forum didn't dredge up much more enlightenment. Can anyone who uses MainStage to process and perform bass guitar live discuss how they do it? I want all the nitty gritty, down to how you set your patch up.

2. bassaram

bassaram

Dec 31, 2012
    Philadelphia, PA
    I just picked it up a couple weeks ago, and I don't gig with it, but from the time I've spent the program the 'nitty gritty' really just comes down to the fact you can do literally anything you want. It's completely up to you to design your patch and the pedalboard you use the way you want, from just a couple options to some really ridiculous setups. I'd also love to see some examples though!

3. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Sub'd. I've had Mainstage for years. Always been afraid to use it live...

4. thiocyclist

thiocyclist

Sep 19, 2012
    I just don't get how to set up a good bass tone, honestly. It sounds great for guitar but I can't get anything I like for bass.

For my software keys, it's awesome.

5. Since you're an Apple customer, please send them your feedback on this subject. Mainstage 2 seems great for guitarists, amazing for software keyboards, and terrific for effects for vocalists. It seems pretty mediocre for electric bassists. Hopefully Mainstage 3 will offer bassists more.

6. thiocyclist

thiocyclist

Sep 19, 2012
    Not sure where to provide feedback. But I agree with you... unless there's something I'm missing about the software, maybe there's a great way to run bass that I just don't understand.

7. robotriot

robotriot

Jan 8, 2013
  8. thiocyclist

thiocyclist

Sep 19, 2012
    It's got to be a step up over MS2, and that already had really good keyboard sounds. A lot of "bleh" or "yeh!" boils down to the human-ness of the performance (good software controller helps here) and personal preference.

9. I started messing around again with MS2... never really did much because it just wasn't geared for Bass players out of the box... but a quick check of the MainStage 3 page on Apple.com and they have now added full bass support!! :hyper::hyper:

They have a full bass amp designer and at least 3 well known bass amps supplied - SVT, B15 and Mesa 400+ from the looks of the pictures. I was going to download it but I haven't upgraded to 10.8 yet and it's a requirement :spit::spit::spit::spit:

Back to MS2... you can get a very generic bass amp to set up but you're probably better off downloading Amplitube 3 ( free ) and the Custom Shop. There is a solid state bass amp provided in the free version and it's fully useable within MS2.. then you have over a dozen more options if you dive into the Custom Shop.. everything can be demo'ed for 3 days so you can try everything available and put it through some paces to see what you like. I've demo'ed a few and they all sound amazing.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021