Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Mainstream" bands that everyone still likes...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by frankencow150, Jul 15, 2002.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Out of all the popular junk these days theres still some bands that everyone respects and likes even though theyre "mainstream" or popular.Here's my list(by the way,they dont have to still be togethe):

Red hot chili peppers
    Pearl Jam
    Nirvana
    Alice in Chains

I cant think of anymore...hmmmm.....

2. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    U2
    Our Lady Peace (their new album sucks but thats because of their new producer so dont blame them, its the same guy that messed up Metallica on their Black album)
    Stone Temple Pilots

thats all I can think of for now

3. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Oh yea,I forgot about 311.Also:

Sublime
    Dave Matthews Band

Theres one thats on the tip of my tongue.

4. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Does the name BOB ROCK rings a bell???????

5. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Definately Our Lady Peace, "Spiritual Machines" and "Happiness..." are among my favorite cd's. But bands that are universally respected is kinda subjective, but here's my take:
    Bela Fleck and the Flecktones(borderline mainstream)
    Bush(I like them, saw them live, don't know what you guys think)
    Radiohead
    Oasis
    Phish
    Live
    Cake
    Blues Traveler
    John Mayer(new face, but pretty good music)
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Foo Fighters

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

RHCP
    Radiohead
    Nirvana
    Chemical Brothers
    Fatboy Slim
    Ramones
    Primus
    Blur/Gorillaz

I would actually go see Green Day again if they performed a small club. Those guys can really play.

7. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Pearl Jam
    AIC
    Soundgarden
    Mad Season
    Nirvana
    Dave Matthews Band
    Stone Temple Pilots
    Spin Doctors (early stuff especially)
    RHCP

I actually had someone a few years younger than I refer to the majority of this music as "old" in a conversation I had recently. I had to remind them that I'm only 21 and they were making me feel old with their comments. haha

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Jimmy Eat World
    Pearl Jam
    Tool is getting pretty popular nowadays
    Deftones
    Nine Inch Nails
    Ani Difranco
    Maxwell

BTW, does anyone else find it strange that when you ask a fourteen-year old girl what music she likes, Korn is usually mentioned right along with boy bands and Pink? I remeber having friends go and see Korn back in '95 because they thought there would be a real violent show.

9. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    im glad sumone said it cuz ive said this for years. The one band that became popular, made money, and managed to not "sell out" in any way shape or form was the foo fighters. They always made hard songs, soft songs, and just managed to rock out. Im not saying im not a fan of bands that have "sold out" but the foo fighters have done it the same way id want to if i was in their shoes. Dave grohl is an amazing musician and hes done a great job.

10. Primus
    Ramones
    Weezer

and above all,the band with the bassist to out play all PuNk RocK bassists....

GREEN DAY
    featuring the stylish licks of Mr. Mike Dirnt

SpunkMunkeeD

11. I saw them @Six Flags in Buffalo! They rocked, but I was surrounded to a whole bunch of Blink 182 posers who had no idea what was going on when they started playing stuff from the 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours and Kerplunk! albums. One guy right next to me in a Blink shirt was doing the West Delta Poser Tweet Dance (Ritual of the Trout) perfectly. I saw it out of the corner of my eye and just lost it.

SpunkMunkeeD

12. Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Green Day
    Primus
    Rage Against the Machine
    Metallica
    Nirvana
    Jimmy Eat World
    New Found Glory
    Good Charlotte

is AFI pretty popular now, too? if so, then add them to my list.