Maintaining Lakland Maple Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassbloke, Nov 18, 2002.

1. bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    I recently got a Lakland, the first bass or guitar I've ever owned with a maple neck. The fingerboard is already starting to discolour, as I can see by examining the lighter coloured strips directly under the strings. The fluid I usually use to protect and clean strings (and to clean the neck) isn't shifting this. How can I maintain the original colour in the fingerboard (using products available in the UK).
  2. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    It is an oil finish. Keep it clean. We use a scotch-brite pad (gray) to remove any surface dirt - it makes it feel like new. It is very easy/

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, October 28, 2002 9:44 AM
    Subject: Need to Confirm Finish on Back of Deluxe 55-94 Neck

Some say oil, some say a satin finish. Can you confirm? Also, how should I care for it?

Thanks. Very nice bass!!

Rick Reynolds
    Tampa, Florida
  3. bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    Thanks Rick. It's the actual fingerboard (not the back) that concerns me. I don't know if that makes a difference but I've mailed Dan for his thoughts.

(BTW what are scotch-brite pads? I'm in the UK and have never heard of these though no doubt we have something practically identical under another name).
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Well, being in the UK, maybe they don't call them "Scotch Brite pads"....maybe they're referred to as "football hooligan pads." :D

I have a Skyline with the maple fretboard and several luthiers says they use "0000" steel wool to polish the board and the frets.

I also have guitar polish that has no petroleum gunk in it that some also say works well.

Not to gross you out, but I like it when the maple fretboard yellows instead of remaining bright maple white. So, I let it "yellow and mellow."
    Mine is doing yellowing because I play it all the time. But I keep my strings as pristine as possible.
  5. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I used Formby's Almond Lustre on mine recently to clean it. I have yet to get yellowing, but the fretboard is a tiny bit darker than the back of the neck.

6. bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    Actually I agree a little yellowing looks quite nice. But considering how much it's yellowed in 3-4 months I'm worried it'll look downright grubby soon.

Any way here's Dan's very nice reply to my query:

"Hello B,

I wish I had an easy answer for you .... but I don't. The discoloration is from the dirt on your fingers. This is why it is still light under the strings. So the light is the original color.

We made the decision to leave the fingerboard surface free of lacquer (this is what most basses have on maple) and coat it with a thin layer of CA (crazy glue). This allow us to be more precise with our fretting. If lacquer is involved it is yet another surface to level (for a proper fret job) and it is tricky at that. Enough of my excuses - what can be done.....

If the bass is new and still under warranty, you can send it to us for clean-up (if it is really bad we will have to refret it - to clean the fingerboard). Even if it is not under warranty we would still do the work for a charge.

For smaller clean-up's we use Mineral spirits, scrubbed on with a toothbrush (this can only do so much), or we also use GHS Guitar polish which has some Mineral Spirits and an abrasive agent(Can be applied the same way).

Let me know what I can do to help you, with the above in mind."

Only problem I have is that with shipping costs returning the bass to the US is not a practical option.
  7. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Just a bump-up for another round...

Anybody else have any other suggestions or experiences to share? Just curious because I just bought another Lakland with a maple neck and fingerboard. Otherwise, I'll try Dan Lakin's suggestion.

I had the fingerboard discoloration problem on a 55-94 Deluxe that I used to own. The portions of the fingerboard that were played frequently got pretty grimy looking - kind of a grey-brown dirtiness look. I'd like to keep the new bass looking good if at all possible.