Maintaining my '75 P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phunton, Mar 19, 2005.

1. phunton

Mar 19, 2005
    I just got a '75 Fender P-Bass a couple months ago. I'm pretty new to bass (only been playing seriously for a 6 months or so), but have been playing guitar for about 6 or 7 years now... mostly acoustic. Anyway, I've been wondering what are somet things I can do to keep my bass in good condition? And since my bass is vintage, are there any simple things I can do when the electronics sound scratchy or pop?

2. Gene Machine

Gene Machine

Mar 19, 2003
    A 75 P-bass is pretty indestructable. Wipe the srings down with a towel if you've been sweating on them a lot during a gig.... try not to scratch it all up i guess (big belt buckles??) don't trust guitar stands( i made a mistake once like that with my 52 RI tele... tumble smash), play it and love it.
    if the electronics get scratchy, you can use special contact cleaner spray. If it gets really bad, just replace them and keep them tucked away somewhere. I generally use wd-40, even though everyone says not too (bad for the resistive material inside)

i'd say enjoy it, play it, love it... sounds like you have a great instrument there.

3. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    I would recommend hitting yourself in the head with it untill you can figure out the answer yourself,what would be different than a guitar that you claim to have played for 7 years.
    JUST KIDDING,there's a magic potion that you can pour on the bass that will erase years of scratches and sweat stains,its called powdered water,but I cant remember what to mix it with since its dehydrated,I left the recipe with the one for ice cubes in my pants pocket and washed them by mistake.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Play it, love it, don't drop it, and wipe it off with a soft cloth when you're done. And no battles with Samurai either.
  5. phunton

Mar 19, 2005
    nice demolition....

anyway... the main thing i'm asking about is the electronics. i've mainly played acoustic guitar for a long time now. and especially vintage electronics. they sound great. but i am trying to find out the best ways keeping them in good shape.

i have a Telecaster that i've had for a few years now, but since i got it new, i've never really had to worry much about the electronics.

anyway... thanks for the other responses.
  6. There's not a heck of a lot to go wrong in pots. I've had guitars from the 50s using the same pots for the past 40-50 years. If they get scratchy, spray pot cleaner in there and run it all the way through the traverse of the pot. Keep in mind that the pot cleaner can dissolve some plastics-

Electrolytic caps eventually leak, but I don't think you'll have to worry about that too much with the tone pot in a bass.

Be aware of temperature changes- although it's not a huge issue with the poly finish.

Enjoy it and love it.
  7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD

and you're bass will still be in one piece. I know, I have a '72 that I (ab)use. :ninja:
  8. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    For your controls is: "CaiLube MCL" moving control lubricant. It is made by CAIG Laboratories. It cleans and lubricates. The web site listed on my can is: If this stuff doesn't fix a scratchy pot, ya need a new one...