1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Maintaining the groove without bass.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Nev375, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    This is a question about composition and instrumentation technique rather than bass playing technique. If this is not the right forum, my apologies.

I'm going into the studio for in a few weeks to lay down some of my bass compositions, but since a lot of the stuff I've written outside of a band context there are parts where I'm arpeggiating, chording and soloing and so consequently the groove is dropped.

I'm looking for ideas, examples and inspiration for when I start to have other musicians come in and flesh things out, so I'll know how to convey what I'm wanting from them.

I'll be going in several directions with genres. ska, country, classical, folk, electronic, ya know.... rock, but bass-oriented.

2. bassnat

bassnat

Jan 31, 2011
    Record groove first then overdub parts

3. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    well ... if they can't keep thing going on without the bass ... then to me they are deffinitively lacking.

4. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    When I play guitar or keys I can feel a groove. I like the idea of recording the bass line first and let others hear it. When I'm playing guitar by myself, at least "I" know what I'm after. Yet, sometimes, there can be other parts which, when played alone, don't reflect the full picture of the groove. Those parts must be played alongside a part wich does reflect the groove. It's kinda like playing only one hand of a two-hand conga part, if you know what I mean. Doesn't sound complete. I think you definitely need to have something down first which identifies what the groove is. It gives those other parts something to ride along on, or even work in counterpoint to. Furthermore, some of those other parts may even have a groove of their own sometimes, so you have a multi-groove thing going on in the end.