Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Major appliance question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mark beem, Apr 17, 2003.

1. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    If any of you saw Rush on their Vapor Trails tour you know what a great tone Geddy had onstage. I really want to get his tone live. Does anyone know what brand of dryer Geddy uses onstage? Has anyone used the same brand and model? What differences have you noticed with different brands ie Maytag, Whirlpool, GE, Kenmore..

Which of the above would best be suited for

Rock?

Funk?

Nu Metal?

Polka?

Bluegrass?

"Is anyone else getting tired of all the "What does the flavor of the week bass player use gear-wise" threads??

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Nope, I never read them. I just read this thread because I recently got a new hot water heater that SUCKS and I was going to steer you clear of it if that's what you were after.

3. I use a conair hair dryer. It's really cool, it has two speeds, it's blue, light weight, it has a neato cool button and the power cord is second to none. It even has a GFI circut on the plug!! What a great Christmas gift it was.

Anyone keep there beer cold in an old Philco fridge with the large chrome latch handle on the front? I had one that was brush painted sh*t brown over avacdo. It was great-

4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I really wish I could be one of those people who get to run across stage and throw a quarter in the machine in the middle of the show to keep them running :bassist:

5. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I had to replace mine last September... Not a very fun endeavor.

6. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Just a little heads up that might help your search- Kenmore is actually a brand manufactured by Whirlpool for sale exclusively at Sears stores. Get a Whirlpool or Maytag(or go on the cheap and get a Magic Chef -its actually manufactured by Maytag but at 2/3's the price!).;)

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i don't need no stinkin' hairdryer...(got no stinkin' hair.)

BTW, get that DP yet ?

8. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Should be here next week... Along with the new (to me) Conklin I got.

:D

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Didn't someone do a film clip once with a wall of clothes dryers instead of a wall of Marshalls? Silly but funny. Dang, I can't think of who it was.........

10. Wasn't that the Dire Straights video for Money for Nothin'?

11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Geddy lee... dryers... hair dryers.... I AM CONFUSED.

12. Maytag - but you need the heavy-duty, institutional, coin-op ones to get the grind and definition.

He was using regular, "home-use" 'tags when I caught 'em in NJ. ----> blurry tone....

:D :D

13. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I actually played through a George Foreman Grill, biamped into an industrial sized clothes dryer and a Black and Decker toaster oven, OH MAN! nothing I have heard is nearly as punchy! the Toaster may look small, but it provides really crisp, powerful tone.

:D

14. probably not the clip you're thinking of, but they did this in the video for "Dizzy" by Vic Reeves & The Wonderstuff.

15. What is the deal w/ Geddy and washers? Apparently I missed out on something fairly insignificant :D

16. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    From an interview in Bass Inside Magazine:

"Instead of a backline of bass guitar loudspeaker cabinets, Geddy chose to use three fully operational Maytag Laundromat dryers. The machines tossed RUSH shirts throughout the evening, which were eventually thrown to the audience by the band members before the start of the encore. In order for the dryers to stay optional, they were coin-fed intermittently during the shows by stage techs.

We never knew who was going to show up to put coins in the machines. Sometimes it was very wild. One night our chef appeared and he was wearing his apron… and that was all. Other nights we had people I didn’t even know show up in French Maid costumes. One night a stripper wearing chaps came out onstage with the coins and on other nights, crewmembers in crash helmets came scooting across the stage on their electric scooters. On those evenings it got pretty funny.

The dryers were a nice touch and I will spare you obvious questions such as, "What kind of fabric softeners effects your bass tone more, liquid or fabric sheets?" and "What kind of dryer provides the best speaker transient response, gas or electric?"

Those are bad… (laughs), thank you."

Full interview can be viewed HERE

17. wow- that interview excerpt is EXACTLY the same as the one in Bass Guitar Magazine's Geddy Lee interview.

*EDIT* it IS the same interview- Christopher Buttner is credited for the GL interview in BGM.

hmmm, I'll be checking that website before I buy BGM in the future.... :meh:

18. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    THATS THE ONE!!!!!!!

19. Jaco only needed a Maytag

20. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'M NOT GONNA PAY A LOT FOR THIS PREAMP!