Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Major audition and strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bonafide, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Would you go in with a new set on (Crisp, noisy and a little harsh)? The set I have now is well worn, almost perfect, perhaps a 'tad' overplayed. I like the feel and tone of slightly overplayed strings but am a 'little' worried that I may pop one.
    This audition is 1 1/2 days away and would land me a spot touring with a major label recording artist. I am only playing 2 songs for the audition, they supply the rig (Ampeg SVT-2) That's all I know.
    Any opinions? Thank you.

2. If you do routinely break strings I would vote changing them. As Eminen said "You only get one shot" If you are supporting a major label act they are likely in "influence" your stage tone. Roll of some highs if new strings sound to rough on your bass.

BTW -- I hope it goes well...

3. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    A brand new set of strings may not stay in tune.
    From my experience it takes some time for the strings to stretch.
    On the other hand new strings sound better.
    If you put new strings on you may want to play them for a few hours to "break them in".
    You don't want to go out of tune during an audition.
    I try to let my strings set overnight after changing them before I play a gig. I also practice at least an hour after first putting them on to break them in and then another hour again after they have set overnight.

4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    If you install the strings properly they shouldn't go out of tune, even when brand new.

That said, what kind of music are you going to be playing? Does it call for super bright tone? I would let the music and your interpretation of it dictate whether you need to change the strings.

5. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Thanks for the replies and input.
    I agree here, I don't have problems with strings going out of tune even when new. I have been using DR high beams on this particular Jazz bass but for the audition I will take both a J and a P. The tone of the bass in this music is not bright, it is warm and soulful (Very roots rock, ala Black Crowes or STP) and that is my dilema.
    The Jazz bass is too bright with new strings and the P-bass has new strings on it also. The J sounds great right now, but I have a good 7-8 hours of playing on it left before this gig.

The LAST thing I want to do is break a string, but then again, aside from my feel and performance, tone is everything.
    Thanks again.

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i always put new strings on the day before a major gig or whatnot. tune them up a few times and you'll be good...

7. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Also, if you put on new strings, do it soon so you can play them. Sometimes new strings are a bit rough feeling until they are broken in, and can affect both your picking hand, and also affect how your fretting hand slides on the strings. If you're doing an important audition, you want the bass to feel familiar.

Good Luck!

jd

8. The Lowest

The Lowest

May 17, 2002
    New Jersey
    Stick with your old set. You'll be more comfortable at the audition and not distracted by the feel of the new strings. What are the odds of breaking a string in the next two days?

9. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I'd say keep the strings on. With the sound you say you want, I wouldn't play with new strings, because of the sound. The worst sound I ever had on a gig was with brand new roundwonds.. But if you do decide to change strings, someone on this board had a trick that made new strings sound a little bit less zingy; before you put the string on, close your hand around it and pull it through your fist a couple of times. That will get some grease on it, and take away some of the treble.

Good luck!