Major computer problems.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    I have an old computer that I used 5 months ago for digital recording. I just re-installed it in my room. hooked everything up, and you know what i got? nothing but a grey screen. I used an olnd mac computer to make sure it wasn't the moniter, and the moniter is fine. I opened up the computer, re-docked the moniter board, still nothing. took the hard drives out, dusted them off, re configured them, nothing. There are no activity sound in the computer either. the drives engage, make a few clicking sound, then just keep spinning. i dont even get an error message. My dad says the drivers got wiped, but how? I've had in my closet for 5 months, and it worked beautifully when i used it then. then poof, its dead.
    well anyways, does anybody have any suggestions what so ever? im really pissed, because we have all recordings on that, and I didnt get to install the cd-rw so i didnt record anything to cd. I'm desperate!!!:mad: :bawl:
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hard to tell over the net, maybe the video card is shot, or just got loose?

You can always put the harddisk into another computer and access the data there.
  3. If it was a PC, you might want to find someone with a similar OS and have them create a boot disk. Start up with that and go from there. You may need to change the start-up order from the SETUP screen.

Of course, if you can't even get to that part, you're probably screwed. :bag:
  4. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    i tried to swap the drive from a computer made in 86. It made a horrible screechin noise, then got really hot. I didn't really help...
  5. BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    If you know what your doing.... make sure all of your connections inside your computer are seated firmly. (i.e. IDE cables, PCI cards, and etc.)

Then do what rabid_granny suggests. If you cant even boot to DOS you have a hardware issue.