Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Major dilemna

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Somebassguy, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Well I brought both the Zone bass and the Schecter Custom 4 home this week. Was planning on only keeping one and sending the other back. After playing the 2 basses I literally fell in love with both of them, so much so that I simply can't decide which one to keep (I don't have plans on keeping both sorry hehe). This brings me to my post here. I'm going to need some advice!

Does the Schecter retain the same resale value as Fenders?

Do both basses have the same quality electronics in them?

Does either bass go sour after a couple of years use?

Yeah I know, I should know all this stuff already, but I haven't played in 17 or so years and am just getting back into it again and I simply haven't kept up with all the new musical technology.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated and anything else I haven't covered as well.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    "(I don't have plans on keeping both sorry hehe). " ...

I would keep the Fender.. they usually have better resale values.

Does anything stick out about either one? Something you really like, or dislike about one of em?

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Having owned the Zone, I would lean towards keeping that one. Awesome bass.

Dan :bassist:

4. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    as you said, the fenders usually have better resale values. and...its a fender, you cant go wrong with that. i listened to a sound clip online and it sounds like a keeper to me. fender has many more years of expirience under their belt than schecter does. more experience generally means better product. id say keep the zone. i kind of do like schecters, but the ones i have played were super neck heavey. i know that probably isnt the case with all of them, but i wasnt too thrilled with some of the designs of schecter's basses.

5. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Well I made my desicion today. The schecter stays and the zone goes back. The more I played the 2 the more I liked how the Schecter felt in my hands, a very easy instrument to play, awesome neck and comes factory set with great action to boot. The sound is just more rich and bright I think is the best way to describe it. The EMG HZ active pickups have just a tad more punch than the p/j Alnico active pickups. The bass has insane lows and bright highs. The mid punch can literally knock you off your seat hehe. If I had it my way I would definately keep the 2 basses, but since I have to keep the misses happy I had to settle for just one (I'm still convincing her that I will not be going back on tour lol). The Zone is still an AWESOME bass in my opinion, mabe one of the best basses ever made by Fender and I heartely recommend it to anyone looking for a new bass.

6. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    awesome. whatever feels right to you is what you need to do. i have never actually played either of them, so you are a much better judge than i am. enjoy the new bass.

7. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    EMG-HZ pickups are not active.

but they sound really nice anyway. If your Schecter is like mine, it has active electronics but not pickups.

And, if it is also like mine, it will have a lower resale value than the Fender because it is a neck-thru. Neck-thru basses have lower resale values because you cannot replace the neck. Thus, when there is a lot of fretware, you have to replace the entire bass instead of just the neck.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    No, you can get the frets recrowned.

9. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa

You are correct it is the electronics that are active. 2- Vol / EMG 2-Band Active EQ

No I have a custom 4, yours sounds like an elite or a studio. My neck is attached via 6 screws. Personally I prefer attached necks as opposed to neck throughs which is why I went the Custom route.

Resale value means less to me right now than actual tone of the instrument. I just prefer the Schecter over the Zone and that is what is important to me. I also just ordered a Ric 4003 about 10 minutes ago from Music 123. I think Rics retain their resale value extremely well! I will use my schecter for funk and slap and the Ric for everything else :)

10. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    wait, is it a schecter c4 or a schecter custom 4? if its a c4, then im glad you kept it. i was gonna buy a c5 for myself at one point. very beautiful instruments.

11. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    I looked at the C-4s also but didn't like the body too much........looked too fat to me hehe. They are both basically the same instument. Only difference I found was that the C4s had creme binding while the custom had none.

12. That's why necks on N/T's are often laminated.