Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Major GAS for Spalted/Quilted Maple *pic*

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Jul 12, 2005.

1. I have a major GAS pain for a bass that looks like this F-Bass:

[​IMG]

I thought that just a spalted maple body was awesome until I saw the spalted quilted maple body option. I must have one . . . . . with matching head . . . . . .with a Macassar Ebony fretboard . . . . with 6 strings. . . . . . and Bartolini pickups and preamp. . . . . :crying:

Does anyone have any GOOD quality photos of other Spalted Quilted Maple bass guitars out there? I'd like to add them to my screen saver.

2. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I was with you until you said Bartolini pickups and preamp...I'd much rather have the F pickups and pre.

Marshall

3. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
  4. No, I'm afraid that I won't be getting an F-Bass. I just saw the way it looked and 'fell in love'. However, I cannot afford such a bass. My wife would never let me spend well over 3 grand [some of the Fs are around 6 grand] for a new bass. :rollno:

5. I was thinking of going Warmoth, a 6 string Gecko, but last I heard, you can't get the Gecko body in Spalted. If I DID go Warmoth, I would go with the Burl Maple body and head and have them put a "Gecko-less" Birdseye Maple fingerboard on.

6. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Yeah, sorry my reading comprehension wasn't so good. I thought you were getting an F with barts, which is not what you said at all. :rollno:

Marshall

7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Odd, at least on the surface, it appears to be all F elex...

8. I have a very low understanding of the specifications of the F-Bass [probably because I'll never be able to afford one], so I'm not sure what the 'F elex' is.

Anyway, perhaps in a year or so I can have one of the excellent builders [from this site] build me a bass similar [but not necessarily in shape] to the F-Bass. . . . . . . whether Marchlewski, GW Custom Basses, . .. . .maybe even a double cut Nordstrand.

My preference [which is different than my originally posted picture] is that the pickups just be the plain old black [and Bartolini].

9. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN

What does Spalted & Flamed Maple do for ya?

[​IMG]

BTW - that bass is for sale, and it's alot cheaper than an F Bass :ninja:

10. Puuuurrrrrrr!! Too bad it isn't a 6 string! IOW, yes a Spalted Flamed Maple would work as well! ;)

11. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Sorry, didn't mean to be cryptic. I just meant "F bass electronics". Somebody posted that it wasn't standard F bass stuff. I know you can't tell for sure just by noticing the pickups are the same general shape and the knob count and orientation is the same, but at least to that extent it does, so I just wondered about it.

12. My Sadowsky PJ 4

[​IMG]

13. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    ...wow... (hangs drool bucket around neck)

14. Vic, can I borrow that drool bucket for a while??? :eek:

I think the quilt property with the spalted property is tops!! :hyper:

15. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Oh jeez, "tops", hahaha... ;)

16. Anyone else have a picture of a quilted spalted maple top? :)

17. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I was talking to Nino and my plan was to get a double neck with a Spalted Maple top. But apparently it's not avaliable :( Tis a sad day...

18. I've always liked this Jack Read fretless, I wish I knew the guy that owned it, I'd like to, um, "borrow" it for a while. :ninja:

[​IMG][​IMG]

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    ...with Bartolinis:D

[​IMG]

20. Thanks for bringing some attention to that stellar Fbass. I own something almost identical. Its a BNF6, with a spalted maple top and matching headstock. The only differences are my maple top does not have that much spalting on it, and i have no fret lines.

Its the most beautiful and most killer bass i've ever seen, let alone played. I bought it straight from George's shop in Hamilton, within 5 minutes of seeing it.

Truely an awesome instrument. And it has some amazing versatility for a fretless bass. The F-pre allwos me to use it in almost any style i choose.

Really cant say enough about it, a fantastic instrument.

mike (i also own a BN6, the pair has me set for life)