1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Major GAS. Where can I get one of these?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zackattack, May 4, 2006.

1. zackattack

zackattack Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    San Francisco
    Does any one know where I could pick up one of these? Its a Walnut P Bass Special cirac 1980, a friend of mine has one which he's but a jazz bridge pick up on and it's possibly one of the best basses I've ever played on.
    I figured this would be the best place to ask.

Cheers!

[​IMG]

2. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    watch "evil-bay" they turn up there sometimes. I don't think I've ever seen a walnut one on there though. Red, White (rare), & black are the ones I've seen turn up on there. Search for P bass Special. Good luck in your search. You are really after a pretty rare bird.

3. I knew a guy with one just like that but his was a warmoth neck that he added to a regular Pbass, and he even spent an extra $10 to get the fender decal. looked EXACTLY like that bass, as in , I think thats his bass.

4. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    unless your friend did a great job of making a era specific replica with Warmoth parts, that picture is of a 1980-1982 Fender P Bass Special. They were only made between those years. Ths "special" part about them was the active electronics on a P. There are three knobs as well as a toggle switch as opposed to the two knobs on a standard p. The controls were v/b/t I believe. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. The toggle was to switch between passive/active mode. These are fantastic basses. I had a CAR one w/rosewood borard played at my wedding. I would love to find one of these myself within my budget but like I said in an earlier post, they are getting pretty rare anymore, and with the rarity comes high prices.